Home
Forums > General Discussion >

24 mile roundtrip commute?

(closed)
anybody do this here? 12 miles there and 12 miles back 10 hours later?

Total 369 ft ascent and 307 ft descent. Any idea what gearing to run?

Also, what handlebar setup is most comfortable? I know this is not THAT bad, seeing just dicking around on the bike you can put down 5 miles easily.

July 2, 2014 02:46 AM
haste
9 posts
0 bikes
this may sound kinda douche-ish, but it is serious advice:
do it, and then figure it out.
you will know realize how comfortable your gearing and bars are.
and there are a bunch of threads about bars that people recommend.
don't be shy to look around! (and do some research)

July 2, 2014 03:31 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
ride your bike with whatever

July 2, 2014 07:18 AM
fredspreme
222 posts
8 bikes
Lurk, lurk, lurk...then lurk some more to find recommendations. Oh, and don't be afraid to learn hands on. Soon you'll realize 25 miles is a cake walk!

July 2, 2014 08:53 AM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
That sounds almost like a flat ride. I think you should run what probably 75% of what other riders do, 48x15.

July 2, 2014 10:51 AM
StevenPreusser
160 posts
10 bikes
Find a gear that allows you to spin up until you are at comfortable rpm's while maintaining full control in case of panic/emergency stops. This calculation will depend on packed weight/level of fitness/ headwind if you wanna get clinical/ brakes if you have any

If you're jumping through lights than go with shorter for most responsive acceleration

If you're putting in open trucker miles than go for the tallest gear you can withstand to push for the extended period of time

I too had a 20.2 km each direction commute earlier this year but have since chosen to work closer to home

July 2, 2014 01:57 PM
Keep in mind getting sweaty. I ride a lot, but when i commute i hate sweating. My old fixed gear was geared at 42-16, fast enough, but could cruise without sweating. My mountain bike is geared at 34-18 and its REALLLY slow, but my commute is short so its not a huge deal, also the upright position is better for riding with a bag. 24 miles isn't that much to do daily. If you haven't ridden much in the past you may get a little tired by the end of the week, but you'll get fit and you'll get fit fast! go for it.

July 2, 2014 06:45 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
i agree with Zeb; think about the sweat (turning up to work sweaty at the start of the day sucks ass)...bring some extra clothes in your bag, or if you're fortunate enough to have showers at the office, shower there!

July 3, 2014 02:58 AM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
little update, first week was a little difficult. 3 weeks later it's easy. I'm doing 120 miles a week like nothing! 48x17, another few months and I'll go to 48x15.

only have had 1 flat tube in that time period. I was talking to a roadie who said he only has gotten 4 this year riding 50-100 miles weekly...

July 27, 2014 06:37 PM
haste
9 posts
0 bikes
little update, first week was a little difficult. 3 weeks later it's easy. I'm doing 120 miles a week like nothing! 48x17, another few months and I'll go to 48x15.

only have had 1 flat tube in that time period. I was talking to a roadie who said he only has gotten 4 this year riding 50-100 miles weekly...

July 27, 2014 06:38 PM
haste
9 posts
0 bikes
Get a geared bike with compact drops, ride whatever.

July 27, 2014 09:39 PM
stalag13
145 posts
7 bikes
17 to 15 is a huge jump, also, you probably won't gain much speed by doing so

July 28, 2014 12:25 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Gears ftw.

July 28, 2014 06:56 AM
That's a pretty easy ride too and I hate geared bikes, but I think I too would consider a geared bike just to avoid as much sweat as possible before work. That is the worst. Depends where you work though, if you work at home depot or something then no biggie. But office jobs... No thank you to sweat.

July 28, 2014 07:56 AM
Murrell
48 posts
1 bike
Sweat before work sucks but depending on the distance,.. I found that i was able to conserve more energy riding fixed with the right gear ratio than with gears only arriving 8min later on a 40min 20km ride

... way more enjoyable too

July 29, 2014 01:41 PM
gears? wth you guys even talking about. could care less about sweat, and get it done.

you would be surprised gears vs ss... I usually beat them commuting, doubt it would be any quicker due to coasting habits

July 29, 2014 10:41 PM
haste
9 posts
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.