Home
Forums > General Discussion >

9 sp. freewheel cassette for tri spoke

(closed)
I'm running into some technical difficulties using a tri spoke rear wheel with a freewheel cassette (9sp) and Shimano 9/10 index bar end shifter. Wondering If anybody is running a setup like this and can offer any advice/info? I'm thinking their is an incompatibility with the derailleur (Shimano 105), and may need a new one but can't find any good info.

Thanks

May 4, 2014 07:10 AM
dial in the limits.
make sure the RD allows 9 speed indexing. (indexing could be off)
if all fails. FRICTION :)

May 4, 2014 02:40 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
I have the limits dialed in. The problem seems to only occur with a few of the gearing options, while being smooth in others. Once I dial it in to accomodate the poor shifting gears, the other ones slip. I got the 9 speed freewheel cassette in order to use the bar end index shifting versus the friction. Just prefer for ease of use. I suppose if I can't find the answer friction will have to do. I just can't figure out the issue, but I think it's the derailleur.

Thanks for your time, and let me know any other ideas you may have.

May 4, 2014 04:25 PM
Ow do I know if the RD allows for indexing? It's a shimano 105 med. cage.

May 4, 2014 04:25 PM
Bar end shifters are shimano dura ace 9/10sp (friction/index)

Rear derailleur shimano 105

CAssette sunrace 30t-13t freewheel cassette

May 4, 2014 08:44 PM
I'm assuming that 105 is a 10sp. I

Do they make a shimano 105 with lesser speed capability?

Thanks

May 4, 2014 08:56 PM
the derailliur is fine, the shifter is fine, the casette is fine. your problem may be cage length, but chances are it just cable tension. if in doubt, make it friction

May 5, 2014 02:19 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
I was thinking the same thing Zeb. I really want this thing to work butter with index shifting. Switched it to friction and solved the problem (duh). Don't know if I should get a new derailluer or not.....

May 5, 2014 12:29 PM
I got the 9 speed cassette to be compatible with the 9/10 sp dura ace bar end shifter. I wanted to use index. The rear deraileur is almost brand spanking new. Problem goes away with friction setting (of course). I been in contact with head and they started pointing me towards vintage freewheel cassettes, which don't really go up to 9/10sp., unfortunately. It's not a terribly big deal. I took it out yesterday and it's wicked even with friction setting. Thanks for all the advice dudes. Dig the brain trust!

May 6, 2014 12:16 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.