Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Advice on urban locks?

(closed)
Hello,

Living in south florida/miami area and was wondering on any advice to what type of locks you all recommend? Recently upgraded to a Bianchi super pista, so def need to upgrade my wal-mart U-lock. I know to never let my bike leave might sight, yada yada but just need some recommendations for when I run into the store or something

Can't decide between Krypto mini U (hope it can get through rear wheel and frame) or a krypto chain lock (kinda pricey). What do you all use on your nice bikes that need to be locked up for a quick few minutes?

November 4, 2014 12:05 AM
rivryan
18 posts
0 bikes
abus. if you think a lock is too "pricey" you don't care about your bike enough.

edit: didn't read the part about only being locked up quick, but seriously, just get a good quality lock and it won't matter if you're fast or slow, your bike will still be there. (as long as you know how to lock it up.)

November 4, 2014 07:07 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
a small u-lock from one of the major brands (kryptonite, on-gaurd, abus). From the locks I've had, i like my kryptonite better than my on-gaurds. Ive never owned an abus, but we've had them at the shop i work at for a while. The quality is super nice, despite the terrible packaging. Ive only heard good things. Would consider one in the future.

November 4, 2014 07:15 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
If i get a krypto mini U 5, will that fit around the frame + rim + post most the time? I plan on locking up my front wheel to my frame via my cheap wal-mart u lock, better than nothing and they're not quick release

November 4, 2014 01:36 PM
rivryan
18 posts
0 bikes
Just head to scooters on Biscayne and buy the top kryptonite lock, and call it a day. Lol.

November 4, 2014 05:33 PM
LuigyFyxd
59 posts
1 bike
Just get the longer ulock...I think it's like 12(?) inches long and about 5 inches wide.
That will fit your frame, rear wheel and the pole

November 4, 2014 08:39 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Get a Kryptonite KryptoLok. I use mine everyday and I can lock my frame, rear wheel, and front wheel taken off (quick release) no problem.

And when I used to commute fixed, Id lock all of those + my omnium drive side through the chainring

November 5, 2014 06:56 AM
Basically, get anything made by Kryptonite and you'll be fine. For what it's worth, I have a mini and a large U-lock. I find the large waaayyy to big, the mini works great

November 5, 2014 05:21 PM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
use two locks. anything that deters a thief or directs them to the next bike over, which likely will have only one lock. BTW you can just lock your rear wheel to the post, as long as the lock's through the rear triangle of the bike. even if a thief takes the wheel off, they won't be able to remove it from the rear triangle. ie, so get a small u lock, which gives the potential thief less lee-way to move the lock around to pry it open/cut it off.

but use two locks. luckily never had a bike stolen in bike-theft-ridden toronto, but have had wheelsets pinched, fenders (???) taken off, etc.

November 5, 2014 11:44 PM
Stracknasty
95 posts
0 bikes
as to size, I have a big abus which is rad. it can lock 2 bikes to nearly any type of locking post pretty easily.

Never had a problem with kryptonite, but when I needed something new, the abus, while a tad more expensive, felt quite a bit lighter so I pulled the trigger on it. it's been the best lock I've ever owned and one of these days i'll get around to buying one of the smaller ones.

November 6, 2014 01:15 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
Thanks all! Guess i'll try and go w/ the mini U 5 and see how I like it.

I would never leave my bike unattended for more than an hour (even less)

November 6, 2014 04:46 AM
rivryan
18 posts
0 bikes
I use an Abus Bordo foldable lock. Kinda pricey, but it's small, doesn't "clatter", and is never in the way. I love it! You can see it attached to the seat tube in the pics of my bike. I'm like you, in that my bike is rarely out of my sight for more than a minute or two. It also only gets locked up in areas where there are a lot of people. Outdoor seating at restaurants, etc...

November 6, 2014 10:21 PM
Aural_Addict
154 posts
3 bikes
All good recommendations. Regardless of the brand, I'd consider getting two locks as well. I have a standard size Krypto and a mini. It's nice, not only to have two locks for extra protection, but also for variety. I think the security of your bike depends more on your locking strategy, location, etc. You might think two locks means extra security (and it is), but a thief might see that as you being gone a long time.

November 7, 2014 06:27 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
i've used a krypto mini 5 for like... 3 years now. just drop a bit of chain lube into the cylinder maybe once a season. have had absolutely no problems. add a steel braided cable for added security for your front wheels or components.
check out youtube vids on how to properly lock your bike

works great to lock back wheel/frame to most bike racks. sometimes you have to get a bit creative. but like i said add a cable and you have the best security/versatility possible i think

http://www.rei.com/media/hh/f5ccf6fd-78...

totally on board for two locks (plus a cable if applicable) if you are going to leave your bike unattended. i have another(cheaper and larger) u lock to add if i plan on leaving my bike over night or something.

November 7, 2014 09:40 PM
Rzjarvis93
127 posts
3 bikes
I'd definitely go for the kryptonite -that's the one i can recommend from experience at least. Found a bike thrown out as garbage bout a year ago, front wheel locked to the frame with a krypt U-lock, had to saw it trough, took me 30 minutes with diamondblade-mounted saw.. Bought two of them afterwards :)

November 8, 2014 07:22 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
How effective is the Abus folding lock? I don't know something about it seems east to cut through or something? Or maybe i'm just not open minded about this new type of lock

November 8, 2014 08:16 PM
rivryan
18 posts
0 bikes
lack of reviews about the abus yells "buy kryptonite" to me

November 9, 2014 01:02 AM
Rzjarvis93
127 posts
3 bikes
Well, no ones tried to break it, so I don't know. From the way it's put together, it doesn't appear easy, but I'm not a bike thief. They have one with a key lock that's beefier, but heavier. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow that shows how the parts are linked.

November 9, 2014 03:18 AM
Aural_Addict
154 posts
3 bikes
Why would you leave your bike outside, overnight?

November 9, 2014 03:21 AM
Aural_Addict
154 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.