Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Aerospokes 1 or 2?

(closed)
I was mainly thinking about them being a sidestep from veeps based on weight. Their hubs also don't look that special, and the axel/bearing area looks similar to a formula hub. The shell however looks slightly different. Other forums have told me that they are no different than veeps/formulas. I've never ridden them, so I don't really know, but i guess some people here seem to like them. For that price though what else am I getting beyond a standard >200 veep/formula setup? I don't know spokes that well, but it seems you're not getting that much (if any) upgrade by getting sapim straight gauges. DT makes just as good spokes.

June 24, 2013 11:23 PM
onitsukatiger
74 posts
2 bikes
"I'd rather ride Pistards than Ellipses."
May i know the reason Scrod?

June 25, 2013 12:49 AM
Because I like Pistards and hate Ellipses. Need more?

June 25, 2013 02:07 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
First of all, bladed spokes are 100% unnecessary for riding around on the street. Most people with Ellipses on their bikes don't race or ride in a way where they would be beneficial at all, they're just trying to be cool kids on the internet.

Second, the hubs on Ellipses look and feel like cheap toys. In my experienced opinion, they're garbage. Aesthetically they are butt-ugly and the bearing adjustment system is crap. Hands down, Miche hubs are better.

Third, I prefer a higher spoke count rear wheel. Personal preference, I suppose (but as they say, opinions are like assholes...).

Fourth, I'm not really a fan of most Mavic products and feel that Ellipses are over-hyped. I'm not saying anyone has to feel the same way but you asked why I don't like them and that's one of my reasons.

Last but not least, every Ellipse I've ever had on my truing stand has been a complete nightmare to work with.

Is that good enough?

June 25, 2013 08:07 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Agreed on the reasons^^^^
I've never had any experience with them, but the hubs do not seem that great. And neither do the rest of the parts. You could possibly build a better wheel set for cheaper.

June 25, 2013 09:07 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Thanks for explaning Scrod.

You sound angry. Lol.

June 25, 2013 09:35 PM
Arechetypes (despite being the "hot" rim at the moment) are some of the best rims out there in my opinion. As a professional wheelbuilder, they are always a treat to work with and H+Son's overall quality is amazing.

The Pistard rims are a little heavier but people need to stop focusing so much on weight weenie bullshit and ride their bikes. Archetypes also have the wider profile that is trendy right now which I happen to like, especially when using 23c tires (as they were designed).

hafizdyfectra - Reading that back, I do sound pretty pissed. Some people misread my occasional cut-and-dryness for being a dick when in fact, I'm just being honest and not sugar-coating anything. :)

June 26, 2013 11:41 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
"people need to stop focusing so much on weight weenie bullshit and ride their bikes."
THANK YOU! Finally, someone else shares the same idea.

June 26, 2013 03:26 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
How do you feel about Velocity products?
I bought some silver Deep V's to lace to Dura-Ace hubs, but might sell the rims and get a different wheel set.

June 26, 2013 03:33 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Older Australian-made Velocity rims are awesome. I have a set of old Aeros on my Dodici and love them.

Since Velocity moved their production to the US their quality, QC and availability seems to have gone a little downhill. Go figure.

June 26, 2013 04:12 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.