Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Any ideal tool for Shimano Dura Ace FC7710 track crank set?

(closed)
Hey Everyone!

i have a Dura Ace 7710 NJS Drivetrain System track Crankset and one of my problem is our local bike shop here rip me off for removing and installing my crankset for $45, and i think i might invest for my own tool, any suggestion for good tool for Dura Ace 7710 NJS Drivetrain System? for removing Bottom braket and the dust cap? thanks and appreciate it! cheers
Attached Photos:
Post photo

March 24, 2015 06:14 AM
rideDSF
47 posts
0 bikes
7710 is self extracting. you need the appropriate allen key (8mm?) for the bolt. Turn it counter clockwise and watch the crankset remove itself from the bb spindle.

I can understand that service isnt free. Shops need to make money. But this is no harder than filling up two wheels with air. $45 seems like a steep price for that :(

BB is removed with either just the standard shimano BB tool (BBT-32?) . or. BB tool and lock ring tool depending on which BB you are using.

*edit* take a better pic of the crank arm dust cap svp

It almost looks like you dont have a self extracting cap. Looks like its been replaced simply with a bolt/washer combo. You might need to take the extracting cap off the nds arm and use that to remove the ds arm. All that work could justify $45.

However.. with $45 of tools (or less) you can learn to do it yourself ! :)
You should ask to buy the tools from your LBS, then ask them to show you how to do it. They make money, and you learn to wrench a bit on your own machine. Win Win

March 24, 2015 12:16 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
You need an Octalink crankarm puller, which should cost about $20. Park Tool makes the CCP-44 for Octalink (and the CCP-22 for square taper), or if you want a square taper AND Octalink/ISIS puller in one unit, get the CWP-7, but you use your own 15mm wrench for the handle of that one.

March 24, 2015 12:53 PM
^^^ thats probably your best tool to have in your case.
Having the stock self extractor caps missing..I can understand why they would charge you 1 hr labour. Its fair.

March 24, 2015 01:30 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Fair? Removing Octalink cranks and the BB should take a competent mechanic no more than 10 minutes. An hour's labor? C'mon. I would have charged, at the high end, $20.

March 24, 2015 07:47 PM
i dunno what to say guys, but i think the new mechanic in are LBS got a attitude problem, there last mechanic charge me nothing he just removed the crankarm and BB less than 2min and install to my new frame for 2min, i give him $10 for consideration thanks for your suggestion. The good news is i already removed the dust cap by using of scissor and pliers and i break one of my cheap hex 8mm, i might need puller i guess (but the last time i saw the mechanic that removed my crankarm he never used a puller but will see what happen)

March 25, 2015 02:23 AM
rideDSF
47 posts
0 bikes
7710's have a self extracting bolt. You leave in the dust cap and use an 8mm allen key to take off the crank. Takes literally 20 seconds. You shouldn't need a puller if your 7710's have the right stuff. But you pic sucks wiener and we cant tell if it has the correct dust cap.

March 25, 2015 05:42 AM
DuddyJ
418 posts
45 bikes
finally! i order Park Tool BBT-32 Bottom Bracket Tool, 8mm Hex Tool, Compact Crank Puller Model # (CWP-7). cant wait for the result! hahaha i hope this are the right tools! Thanks again for the comments and suggestion!

March 25, 2015 06:06 AM
rideDSF
47 posts
0 bikes
Steve. Put yourself in a shop owners spot. 1 hr labour for this job isn't unheard of. It's pretty standard. Still have to tag it, put it on the stand. Wrench at it. Shop insurance.. Blah blah blah. It's fair yes.

Would I pay 45 for that?

No hahaha.

But it's fair...

March 25, 2015 12:11 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
So the last mechanic did the work under the table for $10 while getting paid his hourly rate, and you think the new guy is shady for charging the minimum standard hour rate?

It's easy to think an LBS is a ripoff, but until you own a successful one, no one really knows what it takes...

March 25, 2015 09:49 PM
Aural_Addict
154 posts
3 bikes
I can't put myself into the owner's shoes, but I can tell what I would charge as the mechanic who works in the industry currently and does this sort of shit all day every day. Either way, a full hour's labor charge to remove cranks and bb on Octalink is way too much. Also, what shop charges $45/hr? Most shops have seen do $60/hr currently or more. I wish our industry had more standard labor rates, so shops couldn't undercut each other so much and the good shops with good service would flourish and shitty shops would sink into the ocean.

March 26, 2015 01:04 PM
And yes, some mechanics do work "under the table" while we're on the clock, but some mechanics do a quick service for a regular customer just as a nice courtesy, perhaps while their current customer is on a test ride and they'd otherwise be standing around trying to find an orifice to put their thumb into.

March 26, 2015 01:05 PM
so $45/hr is a deal ! :P if standard rate is $60/HR

I think its absolutely fair, as hes probably a new customer coming in and inquiring about work being done. Shops will never ..well most shouldnt...over promise and under deliver. So $45 now can be $10-15-20 when its all said and done.

$45 is expensive for us who have the tools, and who know what to do.

$45 is fair for shops to charge for work.

Buy the tools yourself and fix it up.

Why's it gotta come off in the first place though?

March 26, 2015 02:00 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Enough guys! haha thats way too far!

March 29, 2015 04:28 AM
rideDSF
47 posts
0 bikes
as stated above, Shimano 7710 has a self extracting bolt attached to it. an 8mm Hex Key is all you need.

Now, if you have the cash to pay for a $250 dollars crankset for your bike + $70 for the bottom bracket, you shouldn't have an issue paying an extra $45 to get it removed as budget didn't seem to be an issue when you choose your parts.

I would have done the same if I was LBS owner and someone with Dura-ace components all over their bike walked in my shop.

March 31, 2015 08:42 AM
Guillaume
20 posts
19 bikes
^^

We havent seen better pics of his set up. His cranks seem to be missing the OE self extracting bolt. But could just be a bad picture and poor lighting.

March 31, 2015 03:07 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
So did the tools that you bought work for you ok? Curious because I'm looking to buy tools for the same crankset.

April 9, 2015 08:28 PM
Sorry to bump the thread, but just want to know how hard is servicing a dura ace 7710, just has mine service by a bike shop and I feel ripped off. I feel like they improperly installed it, or didn't but enough grease and now my bb is making a loud, rubbing noise every time I go down on my right pedal.

April 12, 2016 03:32 AM
LuigyFyxd
59 posts
1 bike
The njs version is completely sealed. The road version you can service them.

Or you can just get the 105 octalink version for half the price of the njs one

April 12, 2016 05:03 AM
^^Would you know what tools I would need to service, I have shimano grease otw.

April 13, 2016 04:56 PM
LuigyFyxd
59 posts
1 bike
Regular square taper bb tool, and/or lockring tool

April 13, 2016 11:11 PM
Haven't taking her a shower, but my right crankarm is loose.. This is the second time the bike shop does this. What do I need to do to tighten it? 7710 BB.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

April 14, 2016 12:18 AM
LuigyFyxd
59 posts
1 bike
You need an 8mm allen wrench and a master's degree in advanced rocket science.

April 14, 2016 12:44 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Well, MAYBE you could get by with a Masters, but I wouldn't trust anyone but a PhD with my 8mm allen.

April 14, 2016 11:31 PM
Jehu
544 posts
13 bikes
Thanks for the advice guys! Tighten it up with an Allen key, seems like the bike didn't tightened it up enough and came loose after a couple of rides. PS. Scrod I hope you were the one the packaged my TB14's @ Retrogression, if so I'm keeping the box as a collection item. :)

April 15, 2016 02:51 AM
LuigyFyxd
59 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.