Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Are Dura ace hubs just as durable as Phil wood hubs?

(closed)
Besides the extra maintenance you have to put into the Dura Aces, are they just as durable as Phil Wood Hubs? I know there are other factors involved in making a bombproof wheel like the hoop type and spokes but I'm just talking about the hub itself. And by durable I mean the amount of torque you put on it when smashing sprints from a dead start, smashing sprints on the velodrome, smashing long steep uphills, and skidding all over the city. Would Dura Aces be able to take a solid beating like Phil Woods can?

June 7, 2018 06:21 PM
JeffryRuga
67 posts
3 bikes
Based on what I've seen with my own eyes, I would have to say no.

June 7, 2018 08:37 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Ohh mann! Thanks for the heads up! I just bought a rear Phil hub wheel and was thinking about selling it because I just bought a Dura Ace Set-up. I guess I'll keep them now!

June 7, 2018 10:34 PM
JeffryRuga
67 posts
3 bikes
That's not to say DA hubs aren't great, because they are. The hub I posted above was damaged by an experienced velodrome racer who is a complete monster. Not "normal" circumstances at all.

However, the same guy is now using a rear wheel I built him using a Phil high flange hub for training, so...

June 7, 2018 11:05 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Curious, are his legs as big chris hoy? Does he look like a bodybuilder? Also what kinds of hoops did you lace the Phils to?

June 8, 2018 08:35 PM
JeffryRuga
67 posts
3 bikes
His legs are enormous and he does slightly resemble a bodybuilder.

Phil Wood to Archetype, 3X lacing using Sapim Force triple butted spokes.

June 9, 2018 01:51 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Thanks again for the input, Im going to keep my rear phil and lace them to h+hydras

June 9, 2018 09:15 PM
JeffryRuga
67 posts
3 bikes
That is the coolest thing I have ever seen

June 11, 2018 03:32 PM
HarvestCyclery
56 posts
16 bikes
Scott, do you prefer to use Sapim, Wheelsmith, or DT Swiss?

June 11, 2018 10:48 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Who is Scott? Sapim or Phil Wood spokes FTW.

June 12, 2018 03:58 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Auto-Correct! Thanks again for your help. I'll be ordering hopefully soon.

Retro-gression.com

June 13, 2018 07:31 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I think the number of spokes, proper tension, high vs low flange and a round rim might have more impact in combination on how durable your setup will be than the brand of hub. They are all aluminum hubs after all. But i'm just a guy on the internet. What do I know.

June 16, 2018 02:25 AM
Of course, but any hub having an oversized body and thicker flanges (Phil Wood, Profile, etc) will be somewhat stronger under extreme conditions than one having a thin center & flanges.

June 16, 2018 04:13 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Somewhat stronger? Perhaps on the margin but is the flange thickness or center thickness significant on its own in this case or was there a flaw somewhere else in the wheel build? You'd have to get an engineer to study the stresses on the hub and work backwards to find out. I mean we would build every component out of solid block chromoly if we truly wanted indestructible but people care about weight. Phils are durable for what they are and a little heavier. I think the Dura Ace is a more elegant design and loose ball so it's apples to oranges. Glad to see this debate isn't dead in 2018 lol.

June 17, 2018 03:20 AM
Oh look, we've taken a sharp turn into Nerdville.

I'm out.

June 17, 2018 01:50 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
my hub held up pretty well after i got mirrored
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo

June 19, 2018 10:04 PM
I ran one over with my car and the flange bent so they're clearly trash right?

June 20, 2018 05:30 AM
Jehu
544 posts
13 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.