Home
Forums > General Discussion >

BB17 Transfer v. Cinelli Parallax

(closed)
Debating between the two. What are your guys' thoughts on them?

October 30, 2015 01:45 AM
AznChiliSauce
103 posts
9 bikes
That's like comparing apples to oranges brother. They're both good in their own ways.

Steel is a lot more forgiving when it comes to the bike being ridden in the streets. If you get a dent or crack the frame in an accident, then it can be fixed (depending on how bad the dent or crack is obviously) Also modifications can be made very easily if you know a framebuilder, i.e. bottle bosses, cable guides, rack mounts. Hell, canti studs if you want to get wild with it.

*on a side note, once upon a time there was a graduate student from the Norwegian area who built a Porteur bike using only 5 tools; a hacksaw, a vise, a propane torch from a hardware store, and a half round hand file. He bent the rod for the racks by hand. His truing stand for the wheels was the fork and frame he made.

This is to show how possible it would be to take the modifications into your own hands

Aluminum is a lot more stiff than steel, and lighter. Your power output will be a lot greater and you may find it a lot easier to start from a stop. Aluminum definitely feels faster, it's almost the complete opposite of steel.

I've seen a lot more parallaxes out there than transfers and there might be a reason why that is.

My vote would go to the Parallax because of the reputation of the brand and the geomerty. I don't know much about the transfers or BB17, but I have friends who have ridden the Karma from BB17 and they liked it a lot. Maybe you could meet in the middle with the Karma?

or just get a purefix and be done with it...

October 30, 2015 02:45 AM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
33 bikes
haha well thought out response with a punchline, I applaud you ^^

October 30, 2015 03:44 AM
bootlegloki
29 posts
4 bikes
Karma rules all. BB17 is the titties but the transfer has always seemed a little off. Parallax is a bit, and I mean just a bit more "cookie cutter aluminum frame + omniums + ellipses = win" than the Karma. If you're looking for a smoother ride, go for the transfer with maybe an alpina. Otherwise, I'd say 2 votes for the karma.

October 30, 2015 05:14 AM
Deluxe
224 posts
14 bikes
Steel as material is stiffer than aluminium.

Dedacciai zero uno OS steel tubing is very very stiff, doesn't feel the least slower than many alu frames.

October 30, 2015 02:49 PM
as always comparing aluminum and steel depends entirely on the make, construction, diameter and thickness of the tubing. that being said, i have friends with both. the parallax seems to be stiffer and more "responsive" which is mostly due to the "crit" style geometry and oversized aluminum tubing. the transfer on the other hand has a more aggressive riding position due to the forward sloping top tube, and rides a bit more comfortably in my opinion. aesthetically, i like the look of the transfer more but i like the paint on the parallax better.

and as a bit of a caveat, i have seen an inordinate amount of dented up aluminum cinellis, whereas my buddy has been hit by a car and laid his transfer down a few times and there isnt a dent in sight on his frame.

October 30, 2015 03:51 PM
metatronic1123
232 posts
41 bikes
Aw man. I titled the post wrong! Haha, I meant to compare the Karma with the Parallax!

October 30, 2015 04:29 PM
AznChiliSauce
103 posts
9 bikes
Go with a 2015 Leader 735 ;D haha jk

October 30, 2015 05:06 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.