Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Best single speed crank that isn't track?

(closed)
I am trying to upgrade the current crank I have on my bike. Right now I am currently riding with come crummy origin8 crank with a square taper bb, and I am ready for something new. Only problem is that the frame I am using has wide tire clearance, so I can't with track cranks because they will hit the chain stays.
I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a high quality/stiff single speed crank that flares out a bit, most likely mountain or cycle cross.
pic of current set up
EDIT: this is a freewheel commuter sort of bike, so throwing on shorter cranks wouldnt really help
Attached Photos:
Post photo

March 7, 2017 08:15 PM
EamonnCasey
62 posts
0 bikes
Shimano Alfine crank.

March 7, 2017 08:22 PM
You could always use a longer spindle, or use shorter cranks, or dimple the frame, or use road cranks. The world is your oyster. What's the budget here?

March 7, 2017 08:43 PM
Jehu
544 posts
13 bikes
@Jehu Im trying to stay away from just getting a longer spindle. I do a lot of riding on the bike, so I want to get something pretty stiff, and also definitely not shorter that 170, preferably 175
I'd rather not mess around with the frame, but if you have suggestions for a single speed road crank I am all ears! I don't have a set price, but keep in mind the bike I'm putting them on. Don't need something super fancy

March 7, 2017 10:02 PM
EamonnCasey
62 posts
0 bikes
Well I went with WI Enos and they're great, but that might be a little too blingy for you. If you could give a minimum q factor or something that'd be helpful.

March 7, 2017 10:39 PM
Jehu
544 posts
13 bikes
@Jehu I dont really know the q factor. The bike itself is an old steel frame, I believe a Giant, that I got at a police auction. Its been painted over, so I cant identify it, but its got some really odd details that make me think its an old commuter/hybrid bike

March 8, 2017 02:15 AM
EamonnCasey
62 posts
0 bikes
You can kinda see the chain stay flair out in this picture
Attached Photos:
Post photo

March 8, 2017 02:17 AM
EamonnCasey
62 posts
0 bikes
Just put a dimple in the chainstay and use whatever crankset you want.

March 8, 2017 07:21 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
use a road crank + bb and just use a single ring
the rest of the parts don't look like you have the best of everything so I would personally just find whatever is cheapest but solid...like an older silver sram rival crankset.

March 9, 2017 06:39 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.