Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Bib Shorts

(closed)
Recommendations, please! The decision process is becoming daunting!

September 10, 2012 09:09 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
watch out for dem skid markzzz~

September 10, 2012 05:54 PM
silver_soul
48 posts
4 bikes
Capo and Rapha are great, but at a premium cost.

September 10, 2012 06:52 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I've been looking at Assos, Rapha, Louis Garneau, Giordana, and others. I'm looking to spend around $200 on a pair that will last me a long time. I don't want every kilometer to feel like a hundred so comfort is a big thing for me. Unfortunately, I have to travel an hour to a lbs that has better brands so I want to save a trip and see what everyone has experience with.

September 10, 2012 07:33 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Buying one pair of bibs for $200 is kind of ridiculous, these things wear out you know. Try and find some Pearl Izumi attack bibs on sale. I got 3 of them for 50 each on nashbar a while ago you just have to be patient.

September 10, 2012 07:45 PM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
Have to be patient for what? I've ridden in a pair of $30 dollar shorts from Big 5 and in some Sugoi bibs and there is a huge difference in feel when you ride. There's a reason why some high quality bibs reach $300 +

September 10, 2012 08:08 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Capo

September 10, 2012 08:11 PM
Gabuyo
62 posts
16 bikes
I said be patient because you can find some good deals if you wait. If you insist on spending big $$$ Rapha bibs are hands down the best you can buy. But the only difference I could tell between my significantly cheaper PI and Rapha is that the latter feels a little smoother on my gooch.

September 10, 2012 08:40 PM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
^ That's kinda the point in buying good bibs.

September 10, 2012 10:01 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
[quote]a [b]little[/b] smoother on my gooch[/quote] Not enough to warrant the huge price difference.

September 10, 2012 10:07 PM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
I guess what it really comes down to is how manufactures handle sizing relative to not only the chamois, but also to fit. I've gone down the Pearl Izumi route and some other more affordable solutions, but for users that don't fall into the "standard" sizing this is typically problematic.

That is why these manufacturers end up pricing higher—they've put in more research and production value to accodate a range of rider sizings. The problem is, you never really know what you're getting into (no pun intended) until you wear a bib on a long ride.

But, cycling can be an expensive sport—it all depends what you want out of it.

September 10, 2012 10:35 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I'm sure the fabric quality, stitching, chamois, and all those little things like heat ventilation dimples and the ways in which the fabric is stitched and the cut of the chamois all add up.

September 10, 2012 10:42 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I agree. That's why I'm willing to pay a hefty price tag. Pay more, get more.

September 10, 2012 10:51 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
If you're willing to pay, then you should just get the Rapha Classic bib

September 11, 2012 04:52 AM
Rapha is an amazing brand. very high quality goods. I'm looking into getting their clipless shoes in the near future. there's a store here in the city! anyways, like most are saying, go with capo or rapha. capo will be a little cheaper if you want to compare the two.

September 11, 2012 05:51 AM
silver_soul
48 posts
4 bikes
I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned assos in the mix. Aren't they supposedly one of the most praised brands on the market? Anybody have experience with them?

September 11, 2012 07:31 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I haven't had personal experience with them, but I've heard the chamois they use a little "different." Different in the sense that it's quite large and feels almost like you have a diaper on (not that I know what that feels like!) That doesn't necessarily mean they're uncomfortable though. As others have mentioned, Rapha's Classic bibs are where it's at. That would be my choice if I were on your budget. I'm currently using Capo Custom bibs and they're awesome too. I actually think they're on the lower end of their line as well. Also, if you properly care of your bibs, they can last you a long time. Definitely long enough to justify spending the money if that's what one's concern is!

September 12, 2012 11:24 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
Yeah, as for as the chamois pad on the Assos, that's what I hear too. Ever since people have been commenting on how nice Rapha products are, I was dumbfounded by the quality and felt like I've lived under a rock for never looking into their stuff. I literally want a full Rapha set up now. Love how their style is based on traditional aesthetics. But all their products are soooo much money, it's kind of ridiculous.

September 13, 2012 12:20 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
sew ur own

September 13, 2012 02:21 AM
max5480
4 posts
17 bikes
so far I've owned a few pairs of castelli and campy bibs. one pair of capo.
all very comfortable. would recommend.

edit: also have one pair of nalini bibs and dey comfy

September 13, 2012 02:39 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Yeah, Rapha's gear is solid. I like that they keep simple and classy. They use merino wool a lot and that sh!t is expensive. You're right though, it is pricey, but you get what you pay for!

September 13, 2012 07:26 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
I'll add some of my comments on Capo and Rapha based on use and feel (as opposed to aesthetic, which is useless IMHO when considering cycling gear).

The chamois on both are top notch, although I feel that the chamois was more comfy on the Capo (note: both have pretty thin, chamois—non of that diaper feel and look). Rapha's shorts, the material does move around sometimes for me and bunches up under the chamois and I could feel it—especially when climbing—this happens only once in a while if I haven't adjusted the bib after a warmup. I currently use the Rapha Pro Team Long bibs—I don't like short shorts because even with leg grippers short shorts tend to ride up more for me—and who likes chaffing?

I've gone down the Pearl Izumi and some other low end shorts and just had the worst rides in them (rides that involve lots of climbing, heat, and milage as well as track time).

In my experience the phrase "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

The Capo and Rapha jerseys are awesome. Capo is a more traditional fit—higher collar; while the Rapha jersey I use (the Pro team) is akin to a skinsuit—hardly a color and meant to be super tight (though, jerseys are like that ingeneral, the Rapha's are more so).

I also have used Rapha Gillets (vests) for morning and evening rides in the Bay Area—great piece to carry as its super small when packed into a jersey pocket—downside when carrying any kind of packable vest/jacket—less room for tools/foodstuffs. The great thing about the Rapha gillet is that you can keep it on for a bit when it warms up as it is vented in the back and it is highly breathable.

Ok, I took this beyond bibs, but when riding long distances or climbing, gear choice makes a big difference. I recommend investing. I don't recommend sizing up because you're afraid of wearing skin tight gear—its tight for a reason.

September 13, 2012 08:30 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Hey Mustang, sorry to bring this thread up again, but did the Rapha shorts bunch at all or do they stay in place well? What about the Capo shorts? You say the material moves around with the Rapha shorts if you haven't adjusted them after a warm up..but after adjustment, do they stay? Which Capo shorts did you try?

November 6, 2012 09:15 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
The Rapha bibs bunched up in the crotch area only once in a while—I've experienced this with the Capos in the past as well—its normal for the skinnier riders as I've seen people in our group rides have to pull down the leg bands. Its a mild pain in the ass, but really, not a deal breaker for me. If I remember to pull the leg bands down after warming up (sitting in a riding position for a few minutes) then they stay in place (mostly) for the rest of the ride.

I don't recall the Capo bibs I used in the past—that was like in 2008. But I'm sure they were probably the higher-end ones. They were grey. Sorry!

Do you have access to try either of those in person? It helps alot!

November 6, 2012 08:30 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I'm dedicating an entire day so I can do this. There's only one retailer in Southern California that carries Rapha and it's in Santa Monica, so I plan on going there first and trying those on. From there I'll find one of the many shops nearby that carry Assos and Capo and see which one fits best. It's honestly tough deciding which ones to get after solely reading reviews because everyone has mixed opinions about both Rapha and Assos especially. On top of all that, I don't have much experience with higher end bibs, so I really feel like this process is going to be a hit and miss! Whatever I end up with, I know for a fact they'll be better than what I have now and hope they'll last a good while.

November 6, 2012 09:58 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.