Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Bike Baskets

(closed)
i have a wald basket i picked up for 20$ not that i was expecting anything special for a 20$ basket but the bolts became stripped immediately and has a lot of play when i ride (I could literally move the basket up and down) i tried tightening the axle bolts and the handle bar mounts but it still has play in it. Am i the only one this has happened to? is there something i can do to fix it? i thought about using different bolts but i might just invest in a new basket. Any ideas???

Tl;Dr: I have a shitty basket should i try to make it work or invest in a new basket if so what brand/model (considering getting a rack instead too).

March 21, 2014 05:13 PM
My cheap sunlite wiggles around a lot, it's not a big deal really, mostly just annoying. I have a Gamoh Junior front rack which is really great, quite pricey - although I got mine from a friend for the price/effort of buying and delivering a dirty chai to him - but it's a damn fine rack and I would buy another in heartbeat if I somehow lost this one. Would recommend for dayyyyyyyys.

March 21, 2014 10:14 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
do need fork eyelets though. p-clamps will work but it wouldn't be as secure.

March 21, 2014 10:16 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
It's been thousands of years since man first figured out how to use tools, yet it seems some of us have yet to fully grasp the concept.

I've used Wald baskets for years without any trouble at all. To eliminate play where the basket clamps to your handlebar, you usually need to use the included rubber shims.

Go to a hardware store, spend two bucks on some new bolts and don't install them using retard strength.

March 23, 2014 05:01 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
The wald i bought didnt include rubber shims, it only had the bolts.

March 27, 2014 06:23 PM
Which model is it?

I've never seen a Wald basket that doesn't include a pair of flat rubber shims. The instruction guide even specifies that using them is recommended on 22.2mm bars.

March 27, 2014 08:01 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes

March 28, 2014 01:28 AM
I'm running a Portland Design Takeout basket on my everyday ride, and I'm pretty happy with it. http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-conte...

April 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.