Home
Forums > General Discussion >

BMC Track Machine Opinions

(closed)
Thinking of attempting the painstaking task of acquiring this bike. Theres not much info out there though. How do these things ride? And how much do they typically go for? They're seriously one of the most interesting - modern track bikes out there in my opinion and I'm willing to shell out some decent cash for one. In addition, seems like a bike that someday could easily be worth a pretty penny. But if its going to cost me 2x as much as getting a custom LOW// than I think I may pass.

Also while we're at it, how do Broakland Street Fighters ride?

June 19, 2013 12:09 AM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
Low's aren't custom.

June 19, 2013 01:45 AM
yes they are they have a long waiting period because they are custom made.

June 19, 2013 03:23 AM
ale8705
41 posts
3 bikes
Do you know what a custom bike is?

June 19, 2013 04:00 AM
now yamaguchi is a REAL custom frame

June 19, 2013 04:05 AM
The last I heard you can pay the regular cost to have a LOW, or pay extra to have a custom Low made. Correct me if i'm wrong, but thats what i've heard.

And @the yamaguchi post, I only wish. Being a highschool student that pays for my own bikes I can only ball so hard. Someday though!

@SOLLY Go on lows website and go to order, you can get custom geometry for +$200 (thats a total steal why would anyone not order the custom geo)

June 19, 2013 04:53 AM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
apparently you can't since your a high school student?
I personally would stick with what you have until you don't have to get money from your parents. you already have some good bikes..."upgrading" is kind of unnecessary at this point.

June 19, 2013 07:42 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
but anyway...
do some research. the BMC is worth a certain price to you, and if that technology isn't worth it then I think you just gotta change your priorities

June 19, 2013 07:44 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
goto Indonesia. seems like everyones neighbor is a custom frame builder.
my beef with "custom frames" is ..... do you really need it to be custom? i understand getting fitted to the right size frame. but custom is.. custom.. for someone with weird measurements.. long long arms. short legs. etc etc.

get fitted to the right size. and just get a non "custom" frame that fits.

June 19, 2013 12:41 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
@outofstep, you read my post wrong. I dont borrow money from my parents and i'm a high school student so my occupation is a host at a restaurant, so my paychecks aren't the most exciting. All the bikes on my account are past bikes I've owned. At the current moment in time all I have is a Look frame I might build up for the summer and a Grime Goat which i'm trying to sell. Im not a complete buffoon as some of you are thinking. Ive been riding track bikes for quite some time now. 6 years ago thinking tark was the coolest thing in the world to now where I have a greater appreciation and understanding of traditional track as well as todays skilled builders. All my bikes i've had to pay for off of salaries of babysitting and various slave - labor esque minimum wage jobs. So don't take me for another one of these "hypester" teens who beg their parents to lend them money for their $3000 track project when they'll maybe ride it one or two days a week. I just made this thread to see HOW DO BMC TRACK MACHINES RIDE, and how much does the frameset go for.

Unfortunately it seems most of you are as clueless as me so I did my own research and contacted some past owners last night so if anyones interested:

Pros: Looks Good
Will go up in price over time
limited amount made from a well regarded company

Cons: Biggest complaint was "flex" interesting considering its supposed to be a "sprinters dream"
Supposedly the have a reputation of exploding if you take a decent fall at the track

Price: Popular sizes anywhere from $1000-2250 depending on condition.

Misc facts: The fit a little larger - ie. a 51 feels more like a 53/54

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to broakland question. Their website is down so I cant get any real information at the moment. I know the "pipe bomb" sucks and weighs like 30 lbs but how's the "Streetfighter"? It sure looks pretty.

** I typically have a angry forum post tone for some reason. My apologies if I come off that way. Please read my posts with a more relaxed and happier tone because thats how It is in my head

June 19, 2013 01:54 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
@MKTNG Ya I completely agree, I personally do have long legs an a short torso so bikes can feel weird to me at times. Granted it is not necessary, I am the type who enjoys one of a kind anythings. A bit of a collectors mentality, even though I typically ride the bike far past "clean" before I part ways with it. Its just the frame of mind your possession is unique, not another product of the factory that everybody else has and has access to.

And what are some good Taiwanese frame builders? I can't really think of any off the top of my head. Granted i'm pretty horrible with geography.

June 19, 2013 01:59 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
LOW// isnt custom. custom is defined as having a bike suited for your own individual needs; made specifically for individual customer.

LOW// takes ages because it is handmade in SF with a choice of different sizes which are already available. u cannot choose other sizes besides the one stated.

the only thing customized about LOW// is the colours.

I believe your definition of custom is regarding the sizes which are specifically for the individual where u have to give a proper set of measurements of your body to the builder.

June 19, 2013 02:38 PM
gabelearnstoride
13 posts
0 bikes
its custom compared to a off the showroom floor purchase.
i get it.
but agree its not the true definition of custom

imho ..LOW's are sorta over rated and over priced.
nice bikes. but not my cup of tea.

June 19, 2013 02:40 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Ah ya even I was mistaken, I thought I could pay $200 (which seemed to good to be true) and have LOW make a bike how I would like it.

I also agree, I'm not sure how I feel about low//. They seem to be loved by the people who ride them though so that peaked my interest a little. I'd have to hop on one to decide.

Still - small batch hand built > factory made frames any day.

Sizemore, Avery County Cycles, and Icarus all look well crafted. Maybe I'll switch back to steel someday.

June 19, 2013 03:02 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
oh yea i just checked the website. looks like they just started custom geometry! i ordered mine few wks ago there wasnt the option.

might get custom geometry :D 200 is decent!

June 19, 2013 04:30 PM
gabelearnstoride
13 posts
0 bikes
The BMC is by far the best track bike I've ever ridden. As far as price is concerned, it comes down to how badly you want it. You can expect to pay $1200-$2000+ on the frame set. 2000 on a BMC is not that serious as I've seen worse when people spending their own money. Dropping 3-5k on some Yeezys is another level. Lol in other words, get what you want and pay no mind to anyone else. Good luck with your search

June 19, 2013 05:01 PM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
Good luck trying to find BMC Track. I have been looking for 4years. The only one I found for sale in my size was gone in a minute.

June 19, 2013 08:02 PM
FeFst
92 posts
5 bikes
Thanks for the input sin. And ya thats how I feel. $2000 for a frameset is not reckless if it rides how you like. And while some kids dropping G's on a silly pair of shoes may seem odd to us, if their sense of style is that important and they feel that "Yeezy's" would be worth it than good for them. I personally only drop monInteresting, as you're the first I've heard of actually enjoying their BMC. My research left me pretty bummed out on them. How do you feel about the flex?

June 19, 2013 08:10 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
I would never sell my BMC as its my favorite track frame out of collection of track bikes (Cannondale track, cinelli vigorelli, gt pulse and pista concept). It's the most silent and comfortable track bike I've ever ridden. I haven't had any flex issues and find the frame to be very solid.

June 19, 2013 09:44 PM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
I really need to find one in person and hop on it. So hard forming on opinion on a bike without being able to actually experiance it

June 19, 2013 10:36 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
Search, find, buy, ride. Like it, keep it. No likey, sell it. You'll have a easier time selling it than you would finding it, lol. It's funny how when you've researched the bike, you find negative comments about it BUT yet you can't find one for sale? Lol.. On the level, good luck with your search

June 20, 2013 04:34 AM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
stanridge speed - high street pursuit! it's double the price of low. but worth considering thou.

June 20, 2013 06:29 AM
stanleyssn
4 posts
0 bikes
^Thanks for the recommendation. They sure do look nice, I just personally cannot stand pursuit geometry.

And ya good point aha, you'd expect more of them to be for sale if everyone hated it.

June 20, 2013 04:43 PM
Rileyhunt
33 posts
8 bikes
stanridge is also coming out with a non pursuit version. I forget what its called, but you could take a look at that.

June 20, 2013 05:35 PM
onitsukatiger
74 posts
2 bikes
I know this is irrelevant to the BMC track frame set, but I would like to try out a Serenity Marvel S.

June 20, 2013 06:58 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.