Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Bottom bracket help

(closed)
I have an Unknown Lv.1 with a Sram omnium crankset and GXP bottom bracket.When I installed the cranks the Chain ring bolts started to hit the frame. i put a spacer on the bottom bracket and swapped the bolts and neither solution worked.i was wondering what i could do and if anyone else had this problem.

January 17, 2014 03:55 AM
llrivera
2 posts
0 bikes
This happens with some frames. But I always thought Omniums worked with LV 1s. But Omniums are indeed known for not being compatible with some frames for reasons such as the spider arms hitting the frame like your situation and the crank arm touching the frame.
It's either you get a few frame or different crankset.. As far as I know, those are the only two options. Also, for your info, I heard using spacers on omniums can wear out the bottom bracket a lot faster.

January 17, 2014 05:10 AM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
i have seen alot of people with omniums on a Lv. 1 and i was thinking a longer bottom bracket might be better but i would need confirmation first.

January 17, 2014 05:13 AM
llrivera
2 posts
0 bikes
If you get a longer BB the left crank won't attach to the axle and the BB will probably break or wear out.

January 17, 2014 03:05 PM
There is no "longer bottom bracket" with gxp, the cups are the same all around, it's spindle length, and the spindle, being connected to the drive-side crank arm in the case of gxp, you're stuck with the length you've got. Do not use spacers on a gxp interface. It's designed to be used without them, putting a spacer on can put too much pressure or uneven pressure on the bearings and wear out your bb faster, and it also prevents the non-drive crank from seating securely on the spindle. I don't know how many times I've answered this in threads all over the internet.

Your best bet is to resell them online for a bit cheaper than msrp explaining that they didn't fit on your frame, and get something of similar quality like Sugino 75s, Dura Ace track cranks, etc, etc.

Or get rid of the Unknown and get a big boy frame. ;)

January 17, 2014 05:41 PM
GromCake
209 posts
11 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.