Home
Forums > General Discussion >

carbon for street fixie?

(closed)
Hi, I'm planning on building a high end track-inspired street fixie paycheque-to-paycheque style - will probably take a fair while ;) - I love the feel of carbon frames but I'm wondering if carbon is a practical choice for this kind of build. I'm pretty familiar with the yays and nays of carbon so I'd love to hear people's opinions / experiences.
Basically I want to have a really light but really reliable bike so if not carbon, probably aluminium or etc.
I currently ride an 80s reynolds tubing road race bike with shimano 600 and haven't ridden a fixie since my bmx when I was 11. What do you reckon?

Cheers
Fraser

July 22, 2015 03:58 AM
fraser
1 post
0 bikes
sounds like you already have the perfect bike

July 22, 2015 04:43 AM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
If it still fits you go with the steel and convert it. Learn to ride it well and read a lot regarding the topic. Then spend money on a sweet crabon whatever. I just don't see any @all on the streets here. Steel and aluminum as far as the eye can see. Then again I'm not looking for them. I would wait. That's a road of no return.

July 22, 2015 01:07 PM
It can be. It can also be overkill. The cost of tuition varies.

July 23, 2015 03:07 AM
I heard that a carbon track frame can pretty much be totaled with ease on the streets. Sure, people ride Planet X frames or whatever, but they are not specifically built to handle roads. Either way- STEEL IS REAL!

July 28, 2015 10:08 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Wendy you have an interesting (odd) bike. It's very road looking yet its tag is 'mountain bike'. The front wheel is a Dura Ace and the rear is a Campagnolo. Bikes of that caliber don't mix and match brands of wheels. Well at a first quick glance it looks like a high end bike.

July 29, 2015 08:32 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Here's your crabon for street fixie: http://fyxo.co/galleries/bt-blade-proto...
I still imagine those things exploding into a million pieces just like in the skittles commercials.

August 2, 2015 04:32 AM
i think if it still fits you go with the steel and convert it.

August 3, 2015 08:07 AM
serious question here: what makes a carbon track frame more susceptible to failure than a carbon road frame? are we distinguishing here between "street" (presumably urban, pothole filled environments) and "road" (utopian stretches of endless virginal blacktop)?

August 4, 2015 11:34 AM
Stracknasty
95 posts
0 bikes
I'm talking about real streets. The kind with potholes, massive cracks, weIrd swells and ripples, oil, Trash, grey dumpster juice from butcher shops, blood and dead birds. What else is there?

August 4, 2015 04:09 PM
That poor BT Blade.
:((((

August 6, 2015 03:41 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
cancerous

September 4, 2015 03:30 AM
Deluxe
224 posts
14 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.