Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Carrying essentials and water on rides

(closed)
Saddle bags? (inb4 Velominati references)
Saddle mounted waterbottle holders?
Tools shoved into an old waterbottle and put in a cage?
etc.

How do you guys carry your essentials (flat repair kit, tube, levers, tools, etc) and water on your rides?

My bike doesn't have any bosses or rivets, so i can't attach a waterbottle cage. any ideas how to overcome this obstacle?

August 26, 2014 06:24 AM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
flat repair, phone, keys and nutrition in jersey pockets. Water bottles in cages.

August 26, 2014 06:34 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
When I'm riding track bike on roads I usually carry a water bottle in my jersey pockets. Only one, don't really ride long distances fixed.

August 26, 2014 07:10 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
Saddle bag, for sure.
ID/money also in there if fits, or else in jersey pocket along with small snacks.
Bottles in my cages when riding road/mtb, one bottle in jersey pocket for when I'm riding my track bike. But I also don't ride my track bike for more than 25 miles...usually. Quick stops for refilling.

But for commutes, I usually just throw shit in my bag.
It's all a matter of preference you will develop based on your own mileage and city and reason for riding at the given time.

August 26, 2014 07:48 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
A small saddle bag holds tube, stick on patches, basic tools, levers and a co2 bottle. Tail light clips onto it.
Frame bag holds phone, cards and a bit of cash, keys, snacks, lock if needed and what ever else.
No frame lugs so the bidon cage is mounted to the handle bars. Thinking of either another handle bar monted cage or using soft collapsible bottles in the jersey for extra drinks.

August 26, 2014 09:22 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Handle bar mount bidon cage. http://www.brownjersey.com.au/shop/prod...
I used a flap disc on a 4" grinder to open the clamp up a touch to fit 26mm handle bars. You could use a half round file to do the same job.

August 26, 2014 10:27 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
I always sketchy rig a bottle cage to my downtube with electrical tape and hose clamps if it's a ride 2hr+, anything longer and I'll throw another in the jersey pocket, almost strictly to spite the velominati rules.

August 26, 2014 06:58 PM
+1 zeb

tools, flat kit, phone in jersey
water in cages

after my saddle bag broke, i didn't even bother trying to find another.

August 26, 2014 07:23 PM
I encountered this same problem with my Gazzetta when I discovered a saddle bag made by Axiom. Not only does it have sufficient room inside, it also holds a water bottle. It's a tad harder to grab the bottle while riding, but at least I have one! Also, when out of the saddle climbing or sprinting, the basic Velcro straps that attach the bag allow it to sway a bit with a full bottle, but there is a bracketed version that would probably solve this problem and secure it to the saddle.

August 27, 2014 04:38 AM
m_sobie
35 posts
28 bikes
Tube, patches, two c02 3 pedro tire levers, small 100mm adjustable wrench. All kept in a folded Thomson seatpost bag, water in cages on the road bike, hose clamped cages on the track bike. nutrition and phone in the jersey pockets.

August 27, 2014 06:13 AM
jbrosinski
8 posts
6 bikes
Just post pics of what you're holdin'.

August 28, 2014 04:15 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
i don't really have photos of what i hold, but ideally;

1) spare tube
2) folding multi tool
3) some weird wrench that has loads of holes for other wrench sizes (sorry for the bad description; http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/yallnick23/...
4) tyre levers

i usually am only able to carry 1 bottle (goes in middle jersey pocket). the rest of the tools listed above are stuffed in the other pockets, along with my phone.

it's cumbersome, especially when i just want to take a 30km spin around town. hence, i'm looking for an easy way to carry water+essentials without having to wear a jersey, if i want to muck about for an hour on my bike for fun after work.

August 31, 2014 12:54 PM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
On point here ^^^^^

August 31, 2014 11:27 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
When I first got my bike I bought a hydration back pack. Lots of room for stuff and a 3L bladder for fluids. I didn't like having to suck on the hose for a drink when puffing hard. Nothing beats being able to give the bottle a good squeeze into your gob. So that's when I pulled the saddle bag out of the cupboard and bought a frame/top tube bag.
A 30km or so ride is not too far. If your bike is well maintained then the worst thing to happen would be a flat tyre. So carry flat tyre stuff and the rest can be fixed with a mobile phone and cash/credit card. Just call a cab to get home or walk.
Unless you ride with Murphy then you shouldn't really need any tools.
Off road is a bit different.

September 1, 2014 07:03 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
When doing day trips all (water bottle,mobile phone,tool14/15mm wrench,and spare tire -I ride tubs- fit in the jersey`s pockets,though on a trip lasting a couple of days I use a 12Lbackpack to stow my belongings. I bought a 1.5l bladder for my next trip to add,however on a recent MTB trip (frame is
without cage fixings) the "suckling" experience was far from refreshing but effective.

September 1, 2014 08:28 PM
naval
9 posts
5 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.