Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Centurion compatible with ultegra 6700? EDIT: quill vs threadless?

(closed)
i was wondering if i were to switch out my 600 group on my centurion to ultegra 6700, would i run into any problems?

im thinking about starting to race next year and im getting rid of my cannondale. so i would have to use my centurion.

thanks

November 12, 2014 02:16 AM
Wait...what?

November 12, 2014 02:21 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
would i have any compatible problems using 6700 group on my centurion?

November 12, 2014 02:25 AM
No, I get your question.
I just don't understand why you're getting rid of your caad10 (a race bike) to upgrade a old centurion and race on that. Seems backwards

November 12, 2014 02:28 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
i need the money since im transferring out next semester

i want to keep it but id rather invest in school because in about 2 years ill have my degree and hopefully working and i could investing in a race bike again.
long story short i was gonna begin racing this past year but i got hurt and wasnt able to and now im recovering.

November 12, 2014 02:31 AM
Then I'd suggest probably selling your other bikes, or even holding off on racing for awhile if you're trying to get serious with school. Training will take up a lot of your time

November 12, 2014 02:36 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
But to answer your question, yes.
You can throw on a 6700 group with some adjustments/changes (cable stops adapters, rear wheel spacing, new rear wheel)
Also, make sure to pay attention to whether you have a brazed or clamp on FD

November 12, 2014 03:25 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
school and injuries...just the worst.

November 12, 2014 06:08 AM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Keep CAAD10. sell everything else.

November 12, 2014 02:50 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
@moose - tell me about it..

@outofstep @mktng - I am selling my fixed too. But I need my centurion to commute, if not id have to drive and I hate driving. Im trying to figure a way to keep both my road bikes but if not, ima just hold off on racing

November 12, 2014 05:05 PM
fuck school race bikes!

but really, you can race any bike. I've raced crits on my DT shifter centurion before. So ultegra 6700 shouldn't hold you back.

as far as compatibility, you should be fine. Just little things like finding Downtube cable stops will be necessary. nothing difficult though. Also your rear end isn't spaced for the 130mm rear hubs of 10 speed wheels, but its not hard to stretch them out. You can either just spread it out everytime you put the wheel in, or you can cold set it and bend it out with a 2x4 (do so carefully and evenly on both sides, check sheldon brown for more details)

oh! and get a good quick release, a lot of new style quick releases are prone to slippage. get an internal-cam shimano brand quick release, they're super solid quick releases, and shouldnt present slipping problems.

as a student that races bikes, id say the bike isn't important. over the past few years I've gotten pretty used to being poor, bikes don't buy themselves unfortunately. but its not impossible to scrape by and race bikes, its the fate of many bike racers. do whats fun, and just ride. keep the 10 or don't, you'll figure it out.

November 13, 2014 12:43 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
I'm sure you've seen my Centurion. It works fine.

November 13, 2014 05:53 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
"I just don't understand why you're getting rid of your caad10 (a race bike) to upgrade a old centurion and race on that. Seems backwards"

You may never understand. Centurion owners probably do. If it came with 600, it's probably a Comp TA, or an Elite, or an Ironman.

Yes, 6700 will rock on it. As will you. Going fast is easy. Pedal hard.
Looking good while doing so is much harder. Centurion solves that problem.

Rock it.

November 20, 2014 11:49 PM
RobbieTunes
15 posts
75 bikes
go with 105 5800. It's about the same price, you get an extra cog, and it shifts better than any Shimano 10 speed.

November 23, 2014 03:56 PM
osiris419
46 posts
74 bikes
Yea thats what im going with. i just have to wait a bit longer to buy the 5800 groupset

November 23, 2014 11:17 PM
Race the centurion as it is.
Ok, maybe change the pedals and tyres. A good service so it runs well. No chain jumping or changing issues. Tighten up the spokes so there's less flex.
Look at it this way. The elite riders used to race 12spd (2X6) down tube shifting. And they would have been going harder and faster than you can. So there is no reason why you can't race one now.
The best bit is the (all the gear and no idea) crowd that will scoff at you when you first turn up on that ol' dinosaur. And then the joke will be on them when you proceed to blow them away. That's the best part.

November 29, 2014 04:43 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
You should have no problem changing this out. However the down tube shifter brazeons on my centurion are a little different than the standard Shimano, The cable stops need a little alteration to make them fit flush. Take a look at my Ironman Expert outfitted with Dura Ace. Good luck in school. Race on the Centurion It's all about lungs, legs and heart!
Attached Photos:
Post photo

November 29, 2014 05:19 AM
Velodoc505
4 posts
7 bikes
I dunno, they look pretty flush to me. Mine are Dura Ace cable stops (the only DA on my bike...).

[url=/f/be5e245a13_1.jpg][img]/f/be5e245a13_1s.jpg[/img][/url] [url=/f/be5e245a13_2.jpg][img]/f/be5e245a13_2s.jpg[/img][/url] [url=/f/be5e245a13_4.jpg][img]/f/be5e245a13_4s.jpg[/img][/url]
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo Post photo

December 3, 2014 03:21 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
Nice, this should be an easy change out.

December 5, 2014 02:13 AM
Velodoc505
4 posts
7 bikes
Im getting my new 5800 groupset and im not sure whether to keep it quill stem since i dont have money for a new fork+headset or should get a 1 inch to 1 1/8 adaptor and throw on a stem i have laying around?

Whats the big difference between different bar sizes? I read that oversized bars are stiffer and stronger but is there really a noticeable difference? Ive ridden both sizes on different bikes and stuff and I dont remember "flexing" the bars or anything.
-thanks

December 15, 2014 12:51 AM
You do what you can afford.
Like mentioned in the other thread. The quill will look better on your bike. Old school with a modern drive train.
26mm v 31.8mm. It's all marketing. Yeah 31.8 maybe slightly stiffer but if you can't flex 26 then why upgrade to 31.8.
The range of 31.8 handlebars is a lot larger than 26. That would be the main difference. I've just about given up looking for alternate bars for my bike to suit a 26mm clamp. The ones I've got aren't really too bad.

December 15, 2014 02:01 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
I like the extra convenience of threadless, it's easier to change bars and stem, headset won't come loose, the aforementioned increased bar/stem selection, etc. But just to be sure to watch your spending because if you end up spending a bit of money on the centurion, it probably defeats the point of selling the CAAD and using the centurion as a budget bike in the first place.

December 24, 2014 09:22 PM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
Im just gonna keep it threaded with the current stem, bars, headset and fork combo. Im gonna build up a rear 11 speed wheel and keep the current front wheel till i save up more money for a front wheel. I got a nice christmas bonus to buying the wheel

December 25, 2014 03:41 AM
xmas bonus. just buy some RS81 wheels from Shimano.
RS81 - C24/35/50

December 25, 2014 06:34 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.