Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Chris King Or Phil Wood Road Hub debate.

(closed)
If anybody has any thoughts, experience, or one liner's about either of these hubs for road cycling please share with us on this thread :)

October 4, 2017 09:48 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes

October 4, 2017 10:07 PM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
Whatever you find a better deal on first.

October 7, 2017 08:56 PM
Bwillam459
25 posts
2 bikes
New to the forum. I love the Phil Wood hubs. Switched over on my fat bike and have been very happy with them.

October 17, 2017 10:16 PM
about tree fiddy

October 19, 2017 04:17 AM
@Bwilliam459 That is very true, because they're both more than likely great hubs. Both come out of Portland, OR. Phil might be heavier, but with exceptionally more heavy duty bearings inside - King slightly lighter, and no doubt has amazing bearings.

I've come to find that the decision when it comes to rear hubs is you're looking for one with less drag while riding? Will somebody clarify that's correct?

@Landshark67 That's exactly why I'm kind of leaning towards Phil because my track Phil's ride so freaking nice it's hard to not trust their road hubs. To be fair though we're talking about a 11 speed to a single speed so maybe there could be a difference.

@MouseR Haha yes!!!

@mnmash I'll take that into consideration. I don't plan on taking this off road obviously, but I'm just overall searching for the best ride quality, and durability throughout a lifetime (hopefully) of riding.

October 20, 2017 11:52 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Yeah it is a balance between low drag and high engagement

October 22, 2017 03:06 AM
mnmash
120 posts
4 bikes
I had Phil tracks hubs once...and my friend with wheels laced with formula hubs spun about 3x longer than mine.

October 22, 2017 08:33 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
If weight is a concern definitely go with Chris King. And that swarm of bees sound while coasting let's everybody know what you're riding on.

October 24, 2017 05:28 PM
eldeezy
38 posts
2 bikes
With road hubs it's all about engagement.

November 13, 2017 01:37 PM
zippy2012
77 posts
8 bikes
Hi there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends.I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.
[url=https://light-novel.online]light novel[/url]

October 29, 2018 07:55 AM
Phil’s weigh several 100 grams more. If you don’t want to pay for CK’s then go White Ind. Though they just raised their prices 6% due to the cost of aluminum.

October 30, 2018 11:26 PM
ChefReboulet
94 posts
19 bikes
Phil and CK are both great hubs. I personally like DT Swiss hubs though. I've used 350 and 240 hubs and both are really nice hubs with great bearings and don't require as much maintenance as a CK or Phil does, plus with the star ratchet freehub design changing out how much engagement is a s easy as pulling off an end cap and freehub body and swapping out the ratchets no tools needed. Plus they make the hubs in any configuration and spoke count that you could think of. 240s are super light compared to Phil or CK and roll like butter on the road 350s are heavier and great for MTB. You can't get them in bling colors only black though.

October 31, 2018 01:09 AM
osiris419
46 posts
74 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.