Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Chris King vs. Hawk Racing GXP

(closed)
I hear a lot of great things about both the CK and Hawk Racing GXP bottom bracket, but to those who have ridden both, which is one gets you the most bang for your buck?

December 2, 2015 04:06 AM
sebvstien
16 posts
1 bike
Phil Wood.

December 2, 2015 04:34 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
The Phil Wood one has a press in adaptor to make it work for GXP. It worked fine but I wouldn't buy it again. If I want to drop $150 on a bottom bracket than I want something that is built to work right without shims or anything. Its not like it a hindrance on performance but still, not worth the money.

December 2, 2015 06:49 PM
otiswolf
91 posts
4 bikes
So there's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it's somehow "not worth the money"? That doesn't make much sense.

Chris King uses an adapter too. The Phil Wood press-in system is much better because it's one solid piece made of metal instead of eight separate parts all janked together.

December 2, 2015 06:53 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
By not worth the money I meant that when i pay $150 for a BB i want one that is perfect. Otherwise ill buy whatever works.

December 2, 2015 09:30 PM
otiswolf
91 posts
4 bikes
What's so special about this adapter? Can't you use CK and HR with Omniums?

December 2, 2015 09:41 PM
sebvstien
16 posts
1 bike
The thing that's so special about the GXP adapter is that you can't install Omniums using a Phil or CK BB without one.

On the Chris King, you need what they call [url=https://www.chrisking.com/product/conve... Kit #9[/url].

I'm pretty sure the Hawk BB doesn't need an adapter and they look really nice but I don't know a single person who has used one.

The Phil Wood outboard bearing BB is pretty damn perfect, either used on Shimano Hollowtech II-style crank without the GXP adapter or on Omniums with it.

Think of it this way - traditional external headset cups are basically [i]adapters[/i] that allow your bearings, head tube and steerer tube to play nice with one another. There's no way around it - without them, your headset won't work. Nothing crazy about having those, right?

December 2, 2015 11:27 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
I know someone who just bought a Hawk. I'll ask him about it.

It didn't fit :(

December 3, 2015 04:42 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
Thank you Scrod, I might just go with Phil!

December 3, 2015 05:14 PM
sebvstien
16 posts
1 bike
No problem. Come see me at the shop if you want to see one in person.

December 4, 2015 01:27 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
I am a big believer in quality costs more, but putting that aside, i still believe in terms of just rating them without cost being an issue, id still rate them in this order i did. Besides being the most expensive of the bunch, phil was the best ride, not only in terms of ride quality but in terms of build quality, they are the only one out of the three made of stainless steel cups and an aluminum sleeve insert, both CK and Hawk use aluminum for the cups and plastic for the insert. Chris King is by a super close second, i have ridden all three extensively and to be honest the ride quality is so minor i doubt most could tell the difference. Hawk being the most economical it was still a great obb but noticeably not as good as the two aforementioned.

But take this with a grain of salt, i am just one person giving my humble opinion and know/respect that others will have other opposing views that will contradict what i believe.

December 10, 2015 12:36 AM
MattyMo
139 posts
14 bikes
The Phill outboard BB is available with either stainless steel or aluminum cups.

The current model uses an aluminum center sleeve but I have seen some in the past that were plastic, which isn't a big deal considering its only purpose is to keep dirt out.

December 10, 2015 05:23 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
phil's great because they offer Italian threading. !

December 12, 2015 01:15 AM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.