Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Chub Hub worth getting??

(closed)
Merely fashion over function or is it actually worth it? I've been on the fence about getting one and I know there is a bunch of people that ride them on here.

January 30, 2012 05:08 AM
hozay
13 posts
2 bikes
Just get Phil's

January 30, 2012 06:12 AM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
If you're asking the question, then you probably already know the answer. It's your money...

January 30, 2012 07:07 AM
stalag13
129 posts
6 bikes
bike mechanic here. with low flange hubs, the spokes exert high torque on the hub due to their proximity to the axle. with high flanges, the torque exerted by the spokes is lower since the spokes connect to the hub farther out. so to put it simply, the smaller the flange, the higher the torque and therefore the more likely that you will have a failure of a hub or spoke. also, higher flanges do help with faster accelerations. but there comes a point when super high flanges just add up to more weight for you to drag around and become more of a hinderance than help. and remember, adding one pound to the wheels is like adding two to the frame. if you have your heart set on a chub, go for it, but IMHO you would be better off spending your money on a high quality set of hubs (phil wood, dura ace, white industries, or if money is an issue, formula/origin8 are great for the money). also, IMNSHO chubs are hideous and merely for fashion. dont believe me about adding weight to the wheels? http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1R5WRR/www.ckwop.me.uk/Does-one-pound-on-the-wheels-equal-two-on-the-frame.html/

January 30, 2012 07:19 AM
snorky
179 posts
4 bikes
the chub hub is actually lighter than a phil wood hub. I have both and they're both great. I don't have any issues with either one. If you can't make up your mind. Just get both! :)

January 30, 2012 10:38 PM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
The chub hub is lighter than a phil wood rear hub i think. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. My friend told me pretty much the same thing. My money would be more wisely spent on a dura ace hubset or a phil wood.

January 31, 2012 04:56 AM
hozay
13 posts
2 bikes
phils always

February 3, 2012 03:39 AM
tjw
27 posts
6 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.