Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Cinelli Mash Work Sizing

(closed)
O.k i want to build a bike for commuting and i am thinking of the Cinelli Mash Work Frameset but i am between the XL(58) size or the XXL(60) and i need to decide which one to order.

My measurements are:

Height: 191 cm
Stenum Height (Inseam + Torso): 158 cm
Inseam: 89 cm
Torso: 69 cm
Arm Length : 60-61 cm

The cinelli mash work frameset geometry is the following:

[img]/f/4bfdae227d_1.jpg[/img]

Any opinions / help ?

The only thing that concerns me about the XL is that it has a 57cm TopTube and 54cm Seat tube measured C-C (58 C-T)

Attached Photos:
Post photo

January 13, 2016 10:42 PM
captaindog
2 posts
0 bikes
Definitely worth talking to a bike fitter. I have roughly the same measurements and would definitely go for a 60. The only concern I have is whether or not it's an actual 60 as I've never known Cinelli to make a bike that fits me.

January 14, 2016 12:48 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
The work frames run small because on Cinelli's geo chart they list the frames by the center to top length along the seattube. Which in my opinion is one of the most useless lengths to define a frames size.

So my advice would be to size up from the labeled size. Double check that toptube length.

I really could have sized up on my frame, but so far I haven't had any complaints with the size I went with.

To give you an idea, I'm 5'10" and riding the work frame with a 53cm c-c effective toptube length. My friend who is 6'1" rode a work frame with a 57cm c-c effective toptube length.

Consider the bikes you've ridden before, and compare the geometry charts of those bikes to the work frame geo chart. Or what @Jehu said, consult this with a bike fitter.

January 14, 2016 01:00 AM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
33 bikes
GeorgeWashinghtonMobsDeep because somehow you confused me, the Effective toptube of the XXL Work Frame is 60cm C-C right? I know for sure that my seatube has to be in the 58cm-59cm range..or 60cm....the toptube is my concern.

I had a previous bike from cinelli and it was the First Production Cinelli Mash at size XL which felt allright in size terms. THe geometry of the Mash was this:

[img]/f/32002d4282_1.jpg[/img]

So...in size terms is the XL Mash size closer to the XXL Mash Work size?

Also after the Mash i used to have a Tokyo fixed S1 frame at size 59 which it had the following Geometry....Note that i had the last size(Bigger) of the Chart with ST1 590 and ST2 600:

[img]/f/2eff5153f3_1.jpg[/img]

The Odd thing here is that i had also a Tonic Fab Supernaut in Size APE which felt kinda big so i sold it after a week. You can see size Ape Geo in the following chart.

[img]/f/642fa04649_1.jpg[/img]
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo Post photo

January 14, 2016 07:28 AM
captaindog
2 posts
0 bikes
Good on you for having all this prepared, that's pretty unheard of these days. Take that information to a bike fitter and they could give you a definitive answer.

January 14, 2016 08:33 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
The two bikes that fit you previously both look to have had 57.5 top tube length (effective TT length for the histogram since it has a sloping TT) the Supernaut had a TT length of 61!!! No wonder it felt big.

The 58 Mash (57tt) is gonna fit better based on the info you've given us & the geocharts, the 60 Mash might be too long due to the 60tt. I also prefer showing a lil more post+longer stems than showing no post+stubby stem.

Just my two cents. A fitter will probably help getting stem lengths & reach of bars & proper saddle position setup though so +1 on that route if you're stressing about fit

January 14, 2016 08:47 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
I feel like I'm in class here lol

January 15, 2016 06:29 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Three words: top tube length.

January 15, 2016 04:17 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
If you forego the consensus of talking to a bike fitter and make a decision solely on the comments from this thread, then id have to say Pwebb is coming correct. Altho if you go for the ladder and decide to go for the xxl i have always been a big fan of these stems...
Attached Photos:
Post photo

January 23, 2016 12:07 AM
MattyMo
139 posts
14 bikes
Due to mash work frameset exotic size chart, same reply as Scrodzilla: top tube length (i used to choose 56cm frame size (st ctc & tt ctc) so i chose L (55cm tt) and changed the stem for a longer one. I would add standover height (2 fingers clearance between my balls and the top tube when feet are on the floor).

January 24, 2016 01:25 PM
NeX404
1 post
0 bikes
what did you do? i'm currently in the same boat, and similar height 6'2". I have a parallax xl and i like the tt length, but the seat tube is low, and makes it look like i have a foot of seat post sticking out. I might go for the xl 57tt, since it is similar to the parallax. i would be using the work frame for sscx most likely

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.28...

January 3, 2017 06:01 AM
crod650
1 post
0 bikes
Depends how you like the fit & your legs-to-torso measurements. Im 5'11/180cm & just picked up an XL (57cm t-t). The geo is essentially the same as my 56x56 NJS Samson, just with a tt thats 1cm longer on the Mash. I have long arms/torso and am hoping to not show a ton of seatpost also so this seemed like the right choice. Wont know till im done building.

Looking @ Paralax geo Id personally go with L frame for myself though, so you most likely wanna size up to the XXL mash Work frame. Work frames are long & low so seatpost will be shown. Again, your arm/torso/leg measurements will affect this decision.

January 3, 2017 09:10 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
I'm 6'2 and I was a bit worried about the Work XXL work being too long for me but to my relief it was spot on with a 10cm stem and a riser with ~1cm spacers. But as people said earlier, it all depends on your torso, arms & leg ratio.

I would imagine with drops the 10cm stem might be too long, so the optimal fit can also depend on your handlebar+stem combo.

February 13, 2017 03:14 PM
Joscha
1 post
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.