Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Cinelli - Omnium Problems

(closed)
Hey guys. I've recently built my Cinelli Bolt and my Omnium crankset is loose no matter what I do...

I've heard something about the Omnium axle being too wide for the Cinelli frame and that i need spacers or something - is that anything you can confirm and possibly have experience with?

Hope you can help! (And sorry for poor English)

Best regards from Copenhagen

[img]/f/426f1d4434_1.jpg[/img]
Attached Photos:
Post photo

June 14, 2015 08:23 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
is there play? probably spacers yeah.

June 14, 2015 09:59 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Unless you or a previous owner faced the BB shell to the point of removing more than 1mm of width, do not use a spacer.

The installation instructions that come with Omniums recommends installing the NDS arm, removing it and installing it again to get it to seat properly. This has nothing to do with your frame, it's just the proper way to install a GXP crankset.

June 14, 2015 10:23 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Thanks a lot Scrod - and Moose. I guess i haven't tried that yet. But the bb and crankset comes from the Pre Cursa i bought a couple of months ago - there i think it fit well... Are you suggesting it's only a thing you do when mounting a new Omnium or just in general? No matter what i'm gonna follow your advice and see if it works, definately the cheapest solution!

June 14, 2015 10:27 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
As it is now, there is a gap of 2-3mm from the ds crankset to the bb. Even though i probably overtightened the whole thing i couldn't get it any closer which made me wonder if the axle was too long...

It's really nothing that you can really feel when riding, unless on uneven road... It's only a tiny little bit loose - but enough to make it sound something like a loose headset - a metallic uncomfortable rattling sound.

I'll try your method tomorrow, nothing to loose. If i don't succeed, i guess i'll research further about the use of spacers or something like that! :-)

June 14, 2015 10:33 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
That's often what needs to be done when installing new Omniums but I've encountered a few times when it needs to be done regardless of whether new or used.

The NDS crank arm bolt is a little finicky on Sram cranks. Just make sure everything is greased (even the o-rings that slide inside both cups), then use your muscles and common sense. There's no real way to over tighten the bolt because the crank arm bottoms out on the spindle but the extractor mechanism can break if you go at it like a rabid gorilla.

I've installed Omniums on a good number of aluminum Cinelli frames (all of which have the same shell) and have never run into a situation where a spacer was needed but like I said before, the BB shell may have been faced just a wee bit too much.

June 14, 2015 10:33 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
May or may not be the problem but does the bb have covers on them.I had the same problem with my Cinelli Vigorelli, but then I check one of the thin covers from the BB was not on there. Without the thin spacer there was 1-2mm of play but when I put it back on and tighten it to recommended torque it fit fine.

June 15, 2015 08:07 AM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
Actually i wondered why one of the covers was missing - maybe that's the problem! I'll try Scrod's approach first and dismount the whole thing before remounting it. If that doesn't work i guess i'll check up on the covers... Thanks all!

June 15, 2015 04:49 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
I would definitely re-read the instructions that come with the Omiums and make sure you have all the parts that are suppose to come with them. if you install them properly like the instructions say, then you shouldn't have a problem. I have used Omniums on my Cinelli's and never had a problem.

June 23, 2015 12:56 AM
MattyMo
139 posts
14 bikes
late to this post. the bottom bracket bearings may be sitting a bit deeper in the cup. that plastic spacer in the middle gives a bit to allow for the movement. if you have calipers, check the width of the external bearings, not the cups, but inner race, to see if its correct. since these came off another bike, the bearings may have been seated deeper in the cup than normal from tightening and use on another frame. easy solution is to get a new bottom bracket. otherwise you can get the bearings out and repressed in the cups and the play will be gone.

June 25, 2015 07:54 PM
lofi
30 posts
1 bike
That makes no sense. The bearings only press in so far before bottoming out. There is no way for them to be "seated deeper in the cup than normal".

June 25, 2015 09:40 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
The plastic "spacer" is just a dust cover, it doesn't function as a preload or adjustment component at all. There's no way the bearings are gonna migrate further into the cup, those tolerances are pretty damn tight and it would be very surprising if a BB got past SRAM's quality control without being fully seated.

Don't be afraid of over-torquing the nds bolt, it's hard to strip it with full wrench engagement and it's much worse to under-torque it.

July 10, 2015 12:07 AM
ayyyyy
57 posts
16 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.