Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Clipless Pedals

(closed)
So I have been riding more and more now and my MKS Sylvan Touring pedals are starting to bug me. I was thinking about about getting new pedals and even posted a thread here a few weeks ago. Looking at the alternatives I'm now thinking about clipless pedals. For shoes id be getting Giro Republic Road Shoes. For pedals however I'm unsure between some used Time ATACs, CB Egg Beater 1s ($40) and Shimano SPD M-520s ($30).

April 9, 2014 12:18 AM
otiswolf
91 posts
4 bikes
[img]/f/98b5f0a8b3_1.jpg[/img]

I had M520s for a while and served me well. My friend has Time Atacs and have served him well. I have heard numerous accounts of Eggbeaters unclipping a lot under the stresses of fixed gear brakeless riding.

Go with the Atacs or SPDs.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

April 9, 2014 12:36 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
whats up otis. i recently made the change to clipless and i love it. i went with some basic shimano ones ans the chrome turk pro shoes and i really enjoy riding my bike now that i dont have to worry about strapping in.

April 9, 2014 08:26 AM
ChrisDawg415
5 posts
1 bike
A friend of mine said that there was a lot of float to Eggbeaters. They are so tiny and I bet anyone could get hotspots with much effort.

Get some MTB shoes or shoes that work with SPD pedals. Much easier to walk in if you're getting on and off the bike often and walking.

April 9, 2014 03:10 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Personally i don't know why people think egg beaters are good for skidding. I use 520s full tension and they work great. My friend uses time atacs, they hold you feet to the pedal a lot tighter than 520s but have no float in them. Which is all preference but i like a little float in mine.

April 9, 2014 04:51 PM
The only pedals I have unclipped from when skidding were egg beaters. No tension adjustments=not good for fixie riding. Time, basic shimano SPD, Look, and dura ace pedals are ones I have had the best luck with depending on the situation.

April 9, 2014 06:07 PM
kevint143
1 post
7 bikes
Giro Privateers x Time ATAC.

April 9, 2014 09:17 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.