Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Clipless Pedals

(closed)
Thinking about making a move to clipless pedals (fixed / brakeless).

Any brand preferences or favorites?

October 11, 2012 05:32 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
people love time atacs.

I prefer speedplays. Rode Keo's for a bit..didnt like them

I dont do alot of walking around when i bike so its okay to run speedplays.
but if youre commuting and walking all over the place. Get yourself some atacs!!

October 11, 2012 05:50 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Time ATAC! Easy to clip in and out of.

October 11, 2012 08:29 PM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
time atac

October 11, 2012 08:31 PM
fredspreme
222 posts
8 bikes
Shit, time atacs it is then. ha

October 11, 2012 10:11 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
look keo's

October 11, 2012 10:45 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Shimano 105's best bang for your buck. I love em'!

*Edit* Sorry, depends on the style of pedal. 105's for road and like everyone else said, Atac's for SPD.

October 11, 2012 11:10 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
you can walk around in mtb shoes. road shoes wont allow you to do that. a buddy of mine always slips when he walks around. lol

October 12, 2012 05:51 AM
fredspreme
222 posts
8 bikes
lol i run 105s and my specialized road elite shoes are extremely easy to walk around in. but ofc probably not as good as spd cleats..

October 12, 2012 06:02 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
I can also walk around perfectly fine in road shoes.
I ride look keo's with sidis. as long as you have all the pads underneath the shoes, you should be fine. I think road pedals give you the most secure hold with little (or adjust as you please) "play," just because it's meant for consistent riding...if that makes sense?
I find it funny that people have this notion that walking in road shoes is a big NO NO. I commute with road shoes/pedals and I haven't had any problems with slipping other than the time both heel pads fell off and I put my foot down as I was slowing to a stop.
oh! and depending on the shoe, the bottoms wear out whereas shoes like sidis offer the ability to buy new heel pads. shoes without replaceable pads will require a whole new pair after they've worn out.
also, cleat covers. kinda awkward walking with them but ehh.
cleats don't wear out as fast as you might think.
mtb pedals are definitely more convenient, but I feel more secure with road specific pedals.
at the end of the day...just try stuff out!

October 12, 2012 06:54 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
If you are walking around that much in cycling shoes and are not a messenger or running around a CX course, then maybe you're wearing cycling shoes for the wrong reasons. Just sayin'.

October 12, 2012 09:25 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I agree with mustang, if you're walking around in cycling shoes that much might as well just use regular shoes and double straps. The small amount of added power isn't needed to commute to school or ride to get something to eat with your friends. Save it for long hours in the saddle or training rides, that's where it actually matters.

October 12, 2012 10:32 PM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
^ Right, these things are designed for specific uses—I know its all cool and hip these days to show the world just how committed you are to being a cyclist—but to other cyclists that have been around and actually ride more than a few blocks around town its just plain silly.

Can we please stop being silly? No really, stop. : )

October 12, 2012 11:06 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I used to ride on Look Keo Classics since most of my time spent on my bike was on longer rides with minimal stopping. I recently switched to Time ATACs because I started doing courier work. More time is spent starting from stoplights, clipping out/in, and walking, so the qualities of MTB pedals/shoes are better suited for that.

October 13, 2012 01:51 AM
Gabuyo
62 posts
16 bikes
I'm interested in knowing what pedals would be the best for a pair of sidi shoes. My friend is giving me his old sidi road shoes for a good price but don't know what pedals to use. I was going to buy a set of atacs before but now I don't think they will work.

October 14, 2012 04:53 AM
Basilios
52 posts
1 bike
Are they road or mtb shoes?

October 14, 2012 05:13 AM
Gabuyo
62 posts
16 bikes
You should read what he wrote. I think the key word was "road".

October 14, 2012 06:54 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Yes they are road sidi shoes.

Any recommendations for a good pedal?

October 14, 2012 02:15 PM
Basilios
52 posts
1 bike
Oh right, I missed it in the second sentence.

Anyway I recommend Look Keo Classics because the tension is adjustable. To my knowledge the Keo Easys tension is set at the lowest equivalent of the Keo Classics tension which I've popped out on before. Shimano 105s also seem pretty poplar, but I don't have experience with those.

October 15, 2012 02:55 AM
Gabuyo
62 posts
16 bikes
I've got some new Look Keo Blades for sale if you're interested. Contact me at dwayne.burgess84@gmail.com. Best pedals I've every ridin, stiff with just enough play and you'll never pop out of these.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

October 15, 2012 01:53 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
The 105s are extremely durable, with stainless steel body plates. They have a platform pedal structure, so your power transfer is spot on. Low profile designing to prevent striking the street with them. Adjustable tension as well so you can make it as hard and easy as you want to be able to clip in/out of them. Mine have taken a beating and absolutely have had no problems with them. Working at a roadie shop for 8 months, I've heard a lot about Keos breaking whenever they struck the ground during races... I suppose they're lightweight, but in the end durability is what you want from a pedal.

October 15, 2012 04:39 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
speedplays

the end

October 16, 2012 10:12 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Getting advice here about pedals is like asking Romney about what its like being poor.

October 16, 2012 10:34 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
..or asking him about his tax plan.

http://www.romneytaxplan.com/

October 17, 2012 12:31 AM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
bringing politics into a pedal discussion is ... well.. pretty pointless.
being rich and poor has nothing to do with pedal choice.

there are options out there for "rich" and "poor" people.

speedplays yes can be expensive. but with the right amount of searching you can find them on a good budget... any pedal can be found cheap. I sold two sets of Keo Classics + cleats for 70$.

i got my aerlite northwave shoes for 75$ on sale - down from around 300
two sets of speedplay pedals + cleats for 140$ (new) - down from 150-180$ a piece.

so deals are to be found. hes just asking what would be a good option. price wasnt even part of the question.

sorry for the rant hahah nothing personal :)

October 17, 2012 01:20 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.