Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Cog Slip

(closed)
While climbing local last weekend and noticed a slip in the rear of my Mavic Ellipse. Felt like I slipped on ice. Almost took me over the bars but I managed to control it. Has this happened to anyone? I haven't checked it out just yet but afraid to take the cog off to find stripped threads. All help appreciated.

July 31, 2013 04:00 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Are you using the right size cog?
Maybe your lockring and cog are screwed on tight enough.

July 31, 2013 04:11 PM
Cog size is fine. The lockring came with the Mavic wheel when I bought it years ago. I'm not at my place to check the bike out just yet but will inspect it later on for sure.

July 31, 2013 04:30 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Inspect to see if the threads aren't stripped.. Then reinstall them and make sure that they go on the wheel correctly and tightened well.

July 31, 2013 07:49 PM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
If you're using the standard mavic lock ring, make sure you're threading the rounded edge "in" towards the cog and the flat side out. This is a common mistake with ellipses and people end up stripping the threads. Or use a campy or Phil lock ring as it's French threaded. Good luck

August 1, 2013 12:01 AM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
Don't forget that lube on the threads either. If it is indeed stripped, it could be from not using lube. Gotta use the lube.

August 1, 2013 12:52 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
The internet is full of weird advice and misinformed opinions.

Not lubing the threads won't cause them to strip, it just might make removing the cog and lockring a little more difficult. Also, Phil & Campy lockring threads are 33.5x1.06 (Italian standard), while Mavic lockring threads are 33.0x1 (French standard). The threads are very close, but not exactly the same. You need a Mavic lockring.

August 1, 2013 01:41 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Lube does make things easier though.
I have a feeling you have the right lockring since you said you bought the wheels years ago. If it's just now slipping after riding them for this long, it's probably just loose. I've had slippage in my cogs before and everything was fine after a quick tighten.

August 1, 2013 04:09 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.