Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Custom frames, time quotes, and refunds.

(closed)
Last year I decided I wanted to pull the trigger on a custom frame. I put the deposit down in November and was quoted 24 weeks (6 months) to completion. Here we are now in September, 10 months later, and still no word from the frame builder on when my frame will be finished. I've only gone through a similar process once before and that company was on the money with their time quote. As with most custom frame builders, deposits are non-refundable.

My question is, would I be in the right to request a refund on my deposit? What protection does a customer have in a situation like this when a framebuilder isn't meeting their obligation?

September 1, 2014 09:05 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
If you haven't received any word from them, you should email the framebuilder...

September 1, 2014 09:25 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
I have and still never received a definitive answer. Regardless, It's to the point where I just want a refund. Can he refuse even though his obliations haven't been met? What should I do if he's not willing to oblige?

I'm sure I could deal with this myself, but figured I'd try to get some insight on etiquette from folks that may have been in this situation. Am I really just at the mercy of the framebuilder?

September 1, 2014 10:00 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
If you paid by CC, contact the card company. They should be able to help you out. They usually have good consumer protection. If by check, talk to your bank. They may be able to stop payment on it...

September 1, 2014 11:13 PM
Aural_Addict
154 posts
3 bikes
I guess I should have been more detailed. After 8 months of waiting without any contact, I emailed him hinting at wanting a refund. I sympathized by saying I know he's been busy etc., but I just don't want to wait anymore. I went into it expecting and excited to have a frame by summer, but that obviously wasn't going to be the case. I figured I could use the deposit money towards something else and be able to enjoy what was left of the season. He proceeded to give me, for lack of better words, a sob story about how so many variables (including starting another line) have hindered his progress. I felt bad and said I'd hold out a little longer. Two more months have passed and I still haven't heard anything.

Four months past my quoted time, I'm over the idea, and have bought another frame. I just haven't received the type of service I expected, especially for the amount of money I'm paying ($2500) for a frame and still I don't have any hard feelings. I mean, if the wait time is a year or two let the customer know, because that might effect their decision.

I appreciate the replies guys. I'll probably send an email this week and see what happens. I guess I just needed to vent and see what others thought about the situation. I'll definitely follow up here (if anyone even cares) with how things turn out.

September 2, 2014 12:14 AM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
BTW donald, great link, thanks.

September 2, 2014 12:27 AM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.