Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Favorite Backpack

(closed)
If there's a thread for this I do apologize.

What is your favorite backpack and why? Do you go for cost, use, looks.. etc.

I just ordered a bag. It's not the most expensive ones. It was the cost and styling that got me. Hopefully it's the best bang for my buck.

November 4, 2012 05:29 PM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
I love my Chrome Soyuz. It's pretty big although the opening could be a lot wider. The cost was a pretty penny but so far it's held up for it's cost. Cargo wise I've put in a pair of shoes, hat, small blanket, binder, and a jacket in the roll top compartment and it's had room for more. Although another down side is when it rains anything not in the roll top compartment runs the risk of getting wet. So not as waterproof as they say but adapt quickly by tossing everything in the RT part. It's comfortable to me and I got the all black one. Looks good, works good, rides good, just costs a bit much. For the same price though I'd go with the Bravo. Same price but carries much more if you're into cargo space.

November 4, 2012 07:33 PM
hawtdamnsteben
26 posts
5 bikes
[b]Ortlieb Messenger Bag Pro[/b]

Carries a sh*t-ton, lasted me for years. Courier-capable as proven by several messenger homies here in SF.

November 4, 2012 08:39 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
t-level challenger. looks great, fits a lot without looking too bulky, major comfort and durability. love it and use it all the time. thinking about getting an ILE transit for around the neighborhoods though.

November 5, 2012 12:18 AM
Custom Freight Baggage Rolltop !

Best money ive ever spent ! Highly recommend them to anybody great service and great bags !

November 5, 2012 03:37 AM
PocosPeroLocos
58 posts
2 bikes
I use my iMD x Chrome Delta for school and it works perfect. I also love my Crank Brothers Gutter though. Carries all I possibly could think of and more!

November 5, 2012 03:53 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Loving my Chrome Ivan so far!
Just wish they made some more extra pockets / compartment for small things tho..
Always feels good at the back when I put the bag on me eventho its quite heavy when I lift the bag.

November 6, 2012 05:48 AM
ekidx
7 posts
4 bikes
Ivan was good for like a year or so, after that it sagged a ton. Chrome has new stuff and more colors than ever now.

November 6, 2012 09:49 PM
If you think you're gonna go the Freight route, I think I'm gonna sell mine. PM me if you're interested.

November 7, 2012 02:31 AM
stalag13
145 posts
7 bikes
Freight rolltop

November 9, 2012 03:36 AM
sealed
44 posts
7 bikes
Timbuk 2 especial cuatro. Bag is huge packing up to 50 liters, has external straps to carry wheels, tires, packages, etc. lucked out and found one on eBay brand new for 139!
Attached Photos:
Post photo

November 9, 2012 07:25 AM
Tomcat85
14 posts
13 bikes
I'm digging all of these bag suggestions, thanks. I just got in the Van's Fortnight. It's bigger than what I thought. Though it looks like they jacked T-Level Infinity on the design. I do favor roll tops just because of knowing I can add more in the bag.

I've been using the Chrome Yalta. It faired great except for the rolltop the mouth is pretty small so you can't add a big item, though the bag will fool you in thinking so. Also the front zipper. You have to make sure its closed or water will definitely get in there. It's also easy to clean. Paper towel is all you need.

As far as the suggestions. I'm diggin: Ortlieb Messenger Bag Pro and the Freighty Roll top. I'm no messenger, though my job requires me to carry a lot of things at times. And the Yalta just wasn't cutting it. I'll give you guys an update on the Van's bag.

November 9, 2012 09:51 PM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
Those vans bags look nicce. almost bought one before i got my timbuk2. Looking forward to how it wears!

November 9, 2012 10:19 PM
Tomcat85
14 posts
13 bikes
Love my mission workshop, abit on the pricey side though,

November 14, 2012 12:46 PM
Jamesfix
43 posts
3 bikes
Has anyone had expericence with a Road runner bag?
Im thinking in getting the medium rolltop, its seems like a good deal for the price

November 14, 2012 05:29 PM
jr22
97 posts
5 bikes
I have a roadrunner bag, I got a large one and it holds a hell of a lot. I hate to be a downer but for the $ you can get a different bag that is built better. The back of the bag doesn't have a stiff back and is barely padded, so if your carrying a lot it's going to be uncomfortable. Your back is also going to be soaked with sweat, so if your riding to work it could get messy haha. The rolltop compartment is great, fully waterproof but doesn't always want to stay rolled down due to the clip that was used the strap that you tighten comes loose. The backpack straps aren't really padded very well so if your carrying a lot of heavy stuff they're going to dig into your arms. Overall the bag is alright but there could be a lot of things done to make it a better bag. The document pocket is a nice touch, but its not lined with tarp on the inside of the pocket like the inside of the rolltop compartment. I paid somewhere around 180 for my bag, and I expected the quality to be on par with chrome or timbuk2 but it just wasn't there. If your not going to be carrying a lot or your a smaller person the bag should be fine for you. Now maybe I just had a bad experience and got a one-off bag that was having problems. But it's def not for me. Anyways, hope that helps with your decision.

November 14, 2012 05:44 PM
Tomcat85
14 posts
13 bikes
Thanks man that helped a lot
I pretty much have around 100$, wat do u recomend?
Y not tuck and roll?
Ima b using it for school

November 14, 2012 05:57 PM
jr22
97 posts
5 bikes
If your using it for school it should be fine, if you can gather up 20 more bucks chrome has a rolltop called the yalta for like 120$ really awesome bag. Timbuk2 has some decent bags also. I get most of my bags on eBay you can usually find them for pretty cheap. But like I said If its for school go for what you can afford.

November 14, 2012 06:26 PM
Tomcat85
14 posts
13 bikes
I have a rolltop, but would not recommend it just for school; you'll just end up trying to fill it with stuff you don't need. you can definitely go with a smaller bag for that.

November 14, 2012 06:44 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
well i do carry a lot of stuff so i would like a roll top

November 14, 2012 10:04 PM
jr22
97 posts
5 bikes
yeah but cycling bags in general are meant to hold more than a regular jansport backpack.
school doesn't require you to carry a rolltop's amount...unless you're taking like art or some shit. and even then, it won't be enough to carry those big ol' drawing pads.
there are many other options that will fit your needs. but if you just want a rolltop to have a rolltop and look cool, than that's another story.

chrome, bailey works, freight baggage, manhattan portage, r.e.load, seagull, timbuk2, transient, burro, ortlieb, mission workshop, tlevel, s.a.g., roadrunner bags
are all companies that make a wide assortment of bags.

but anywho...
i've tried a chrome citizen. perfect size...great bag in general. used to deliver shit in dtla awhile ago, and it worked well. back got pretty sweaty, but that's what happens when you ride with bags. pockets for smaller things, pens, and ulock holster. i used to stuff the bags with a bunch of stuff so it got heavy and applied pressure on my shoulder. but i wouldn't pack the bag TOO often. waterproof

i had a chrome sultan for a minute. fit a lot of stuff and pretty comfy, but i sold it soon after i got it cuz i thought it was hideous. hah

had a tlevel infinity. the shoulder straps were really thick and made contact areas of my body really sweaty. that little space that it has to help your back breathe never really did anything for me. the back pads also made my back extra sweaty as well. everything else is pretty great. two bottle holders/ulock holsters. chest and stomach stabilizing straps. practical for school use...just more space than i needed. i found myself finding trying to fill up the bag for absolutely no reason (carrying extra shit). waterproof

had a SAGxMASH backpack for awhile. by far i would say it's the most sensible for summer riding. straps weren't the usual thick padded stuff, so you could get more air flow on your body? had a built in cooler which was awesome. no bottle holders though. pretty much a big compartment inside and laptop compartment, and front flap for papers/pens. this was probably my favorite bag to use for school. also had some straps on the front of the bag that i've used to carry wheels/frames. only comes with a chest stabilizing strap.

had a tlevel challenger backpack. also great for school, but the thickness of the pads that tlevel has sucks (for me). lots of space as well for commuting and school use. ulock holster, and bottle holder? good amount of pockets. stabilizing straps. laptop compartment. waterproof

currently have a engine no.11 nite rider rolltop. great bag, probably the most comfortable i've ever ridden so far. straps aren't bulky. chest and stomach stabilizing straps (chest strap has a whistle). i mainly use this for long trips/adventures because it just has one main big space inside the bag. has a laptop compartment as well. front of bag has a section for papers/documents, and side compartment for smaller things. has a usb light built in. waterproof

November 14, 2012 10:36 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
I know wat u mean bro and i usually carry 2note books 2folders 2textbooks, a bible a journal 2 small books lunch, shoes a sweater and small stuff pens...etc.
I cant carry everything in a jansport i tryed it lol

November 14, 2012 11:03 PM
jr22
97 posts
5 bikes
If you want a rolltop get one, great bags for sure

November 15, 2012 07:36 AM
Tomcat85
14 posts
13 bikes
So far I'm digging the Van's Fortnight rolltop. Great price. Haven't had a rain day since I got the bag so I can't speak on it in that sense. They said the the logo "Off The Wall" is reflective. I've tested it and it barely is. And there isn't a place on the side where I can put a ulock easily. Unless I modify a certain area. The back padding feels great and doesn't feel heavy when you load the bag up. I do wish the waist straps were better hidden.

This is a light review. Of course I'll have to put some real miles on it to give you a better review. So far, I would say buy it if money is an issue.

November 16, 2012 07:57 PM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
@tomcat85
yea bro ima just get the roadrunner roll top

November 16, 2012 08:01 PM
jr22
97 posts
5 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.