Home
Forums > General Discussion >

favourite handlebars

(closed)
what are your favourite handlebars you have ridden with.

July 8, 2012 08:58 AM
jhunting
8 posts
0 bikes
easton EA70 riser bars, lovely to use :-)

July 8, 2012 10:00 AM
Deda Pista! They are great for how I like to ride. I put my hands on the stem and the middle of the bar. One hand just kinda over the over. It feels great to me and the way the pistas curve out lets me ride in that position comfortably.

July 8, 2012 07:02 PM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
Favorite bar? way too broad of a question. Are you talking flatbars, roaddrops, track drops, bullhorns, riserbars? Also, for what? Riding on the street, skidding? Bars to mount brakes onto? Riding track?

For my street/road-ride setup, I ride bullhorns. I ride brakeless and do not want hoods on road drops to to use for this—so, I find bullhorns to provide this function. They act like really shallow drops. I personally use Nitto RB 021.

For track I currently have Easton EC-90s (38cm). They feel like an in-between size—between wide enough for sprinting and narrow enough for positioning (in terms of getting aero and the right width for my arms to be parallel to each other.

I've never been into risers/flatbars, so I'm not any help there.

July 8, 2012 09:01 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Nitto rb021

July 9, 2012 09:37 PM
SolekCheese
1 post
4 bikes
I feel like there's already a thread about this.

fixed: syntace stratos over all bullhorns. most natural positioning for hands when riding on tops. I've also ridden b259aa risers before...those were alright.
road: so far it's ergonovas, even though I'm riding ec90 aeros.

and I'm very confused at what aznryan said. hahaha
am curious as to what he looks like when he's riding cuz that just sounds weird

July 9, 2012 11:29 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
http://www.theheavypedal.com/images/201...
ahaha sorry! But i looked up a pic
Just like in my profile pic

July 10, 2012 07:13 AM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
You funny Ryan. : p

July 10, 2012 08:14 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Pro PLT

July 10, 2012 05:26 PM
Starelite
5 posts
1 bike
How Mustang?

July 10, 2012 05:47 PM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
I was reading your description of your hand placement on your bars then saw the pics. I was imagining based on your description that one of your hands were on the same side as the other. It was just funny was all. : )

July 10, 2012 05:50 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Ohh I should of just put a pic. Its all good

July 10, 2012 05:57 PM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
the way you said it makes it sound like you put one hand on the stem and one hand on one of the sides of the top of the bar. but either way, riding with track bars sucks.
ride with different bars and you'll see what's really comfy!

July 10, 2012 08:55 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
I can't imagine riding track drops outside of the velodrome as each race only lasts a few minutes. Riding on the road requires constant hand position changes as (as this is in the other thread at the moment) your hands go numb and even with good core strength, you tire quickly from being in those deep track drops for an extended period of time.

July 10, 2012 09:17 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Mustang, what do you recommend for road riding then? I feel like the deda pistas would be nice for pulling uphill and you would normally ride like Ryans funny picture. Shopping for bars now so I value the input and I like the price of the dedas. Honestly I find road bars, even with the dummy hoods un attractive, but if you recommend them then by all means throw names out.

Cheers

July 11, 2012 04:59 AM
spencerw
60 posts
2 bikes
I like those pro plt bars. I know it's all about comfort yada yama but opinions and anecdotes are free, fire away.

EDIT: just actually read your post and your name by it simultaneously. Damn. Time to sleep.

July 11, 2012 05:01 AM
spencerw
60 posts
2 bikes
Some wing bars are comfy too. I use the Pro PLT, but would swap with FSA wing pro. ([b]not[/b] FSA wing compact as they are fugly and ... compact)

July 11, 2012 05:56 AM
Starelite
5 posts
1 bike
Spencerw, There's an infinite number of roaddrops out there, I don't even know where to begin. But if they don't appeal to you, then how about bullhorns? I ride bullhorns as they act like really shallow drops (could just be me). I use the RB 021 and I rode 60+ mile rides up mildly grueling climbs out in Marin County north of San Francisco.

What sucks about choosing something new is that you actually have to try them. But, if you can find someone to lend you different bars, that'll help you decide if using roadbars or bullhorns is the way to go or if you are totally fine with trackdrops. My friend on Macaframa, Steve B, has used trackdrops since I met him a few years ago and he swears by them. So, who knows, could be the right thing for ya.

July 11, 2012 06:14 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Thanks for the tips. But does anyone know where I can find some of these? Seiously...

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...

July 11, 2012 04:22 PM
spencerw
60 posts
2 bikes
Lol Major Taylor's bars look like upside down [url=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ape...]

July 11, 2012 05:59 PM
Maybe its time for custom handlebars?

July 11, 2012 11:50 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I'm gonna have to disagree with mustang for once.
I've been riding bullhorns for about two years now and can't compare them to drops.
even the shallowest of drop bars are "deep" compared to bullhorns.
drops are awesome for torquing down, and you can't get that tucked with horns.
even climbing is way better with drops!

it really just comes down to trying shit out.
same with saddles. just buy and sell as you go...it really is worth it.
and I know there's this whole glamorization of riding track drops, but they're really just not sensible for riding on the street/commuting/long distances.
...especially with classic bend.
I feel like if you disagree with that, I gotta call being ignorant on that.
if you serious just try several road bars, you will see that you can be comfortable on drops and not just lie to yourself.
and...your hands will love you, and your competition will hate you. :)

July 12, 2012 08:42 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
thread/

July 12, 2012 02:10 PM
spencerw
60 posts
2 bikes
outofstep, that's why I said "(could just be me)". But you can still disagree.
: p

July 12, 2012 08:40 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Salsa Short & Shallow, 42cm.

July 13, 2012 01:07 AM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.