Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Fixie High End War: State Undefeated Vs. Cinelli Histogram

(closed)
So if your looking to get a pretty high end fixie bike this summer you have undoubtedly heard of the prestigious Cinelli brand. A brand name that sounds so good that you just might think their frames are still hand made in Italy. Whether it is the "rich cool kid" hipster bike is still to be determined, but its clout and quality remain an undeniable fine wine among fixie riders that have expensive taste.

[img]/f/d4d74ac7d9_2.jpg[/img]

Which leads us to the problem of buying a 2014 Cinelli Histogram frameset: it is going to set you back a cool 1000 USD for the frameset alone. Throw on a decent set of Cranks, pedals, wheels, stem, etc. and you'll be up into the 2000 USD budget in no time, maybe even in the 3000 USD range if you decide to get the best components / wheelset money can buy. So for those looking for a race ready track bike that is some what affordable if you save those pennies and cents...

Enter The State Undefeated for a fraction of the price.

[img]/f/d4d74ac7d9_1.jpg[/img]

Like the Cinelli Mash Histogram, the Undefeated model comes with a 7005 aluminum frame with some key differences. The Histogram is triple butted Columbus Airplane 7005-T6 aluminum. The State Undefeated on the other hand is Double Butted(Aero Shaped) 7005 aluminum frame. Both come with carbon forks but as far as advertised weight goes, we see why the Cinelli costs more.

The State Bicycle Co. Undefeated advertised weight for the frame/carbon fork is 4.625 pounds. The Cinelli Histogram frameset(frame and carbon fork) comes in at a feathery 4.5 pounds. So not that big of a deal to most in the weight weenie department, but certainly the Cinelli will hold the lightweight title. And a lighter frameset always comes at a price.

For the advertised $945 of the Undefeated you are not only getting the frameset, you are getting a complete arguably race ready bike with some nice omnium cranks / sram gxp bottom bracket which alone would retail for $200 and up. It would seem that the State undefeated has tried to make the complete bike the way to go seeing that a frameset alone by itself would set you back $549. Basically, the crankset and frameset by itself is worth $749. So you basically get everything else for $200 more dollars(wheels, one brake/brake lever, bull horns, stem, seat) etc. I suppose the question is will the stock wheels hold up? Heck you could always use those as training wheels, while you save up for a really nice wheelset.

All in all, the State Bicycle Co. Undefeated really gives the Cinelli Histogram a big run for it's money. The State Undefeated is made in Taiwan and the Cinelli Mash histogram is made in China. While the Cinelli brand is more recognized and renowned in the fixie bicycle world, kind of like Apple in electronics, the Undefeated provides a quality package at a great price. It's stealth matte black finish with the neon highlights give this track ready race bike an urban assault look. That is pretty remarkable that the complete Undefeated bike is basically a full race ready bike for the price of a Cinelli Histogram frameset. But seeing that the 2014 Histogram looks a lot better(some may say) than the 2013 Histogram, people might be able to get that 2013 histogram frameset for a lot cheaper on ebay. Just the other day I saw one on ebay for $750. Great deal for a premium frame set.

Some other notable brands to look into for that awesome fixie bike to get you around this summer if you have the benjamins: The beautiful Bianchi Super Pista! This high quality bike is made in Taiwan. Their Aluminum/Carbon frameset costs around $750. So a bit cheaper than the Cinelli Histogram but more expensive than the State Undefeated. Unfortunately I was not able to find the weight of this beautiful frameset:

[img]/f/1059f31a8e_1.jpg[/img]

In conclusion all are good products with impressive specs and designs. None of these bikes are hand built in italy as their name suggests. All three frames appear to be race proven as well, with each company sponsoring professional cycling teams.

What it will boil down to is budget and preference. In the end, buy what you like, and ride what you like. Tough choices but all seem to be good, and all of them look amazing.

Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo Post photo

July 14, 2013 12:15 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
What's up State Bike Co. spokesperson? Please advertise elsewhere bud

July 14, 2013 12:36 AM
sublime
256 posts
5 bikes
They both are worth about 100 dollars and a pack of cheezits in the real world

July 14, 2013 01:41 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
^^ lololol btw 2013"s paint looks way better.

July 14, 2013 02:10 AM
0/10 would not bang

July 14, 2013 02:14 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
The state undefeated, to me, looks like another leader 725/735.

July 14, 2013 07:19 AM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
----------------------------------------------------------
Warning...before reading further there are apparently bikesdirect people here with an agenda. These people are people that work, or are being paid in some form by bikesdirect. Bikesdirect has been known to do this before.
-----------------------------------------------

They are a mail order company that sells generic frames with decent components and tout them as the deal of the century. These people are: Scrodzilla, mattymo, Zeb, nightstalker, jaysumthin...evidence: scrodzilla owns a shop and is advertising a kilo tt...

[img]/f/f94afa6f33_1.jpg[/img]

Some seem to be making false accusations as well, and when I mention the issues of the kilo tt fork issues, and frame defects...and evidence of cracked frames from this bikesdirect company...

cracked motobecane
[img]/f/f94afa6f33_2.jpg[/img]
cracked kilo tt pro
[img]/f/f94afa6f33_3.jpg[/img]

They go all crazy just because I show them what is up from a quick google search.

What is funny is that I wrote this from my research as I planned to buy a bike. I actually am going to preorder a 2014 Cinelli.

As I said in my initial post, ride what you like...would not hesitate to buy the bianchi or state.
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo Post photo

July 14, 2013 09:10 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
That was regarding the bb shell of the undefeated, hearing a story about the bb shell cracking or something about the threading stripping. Hope it was fixed by now.

July 14, 2013 09:22 AM
Jaysumthin
21 posts
5 bikes
I never heard about that. Did a google search about it and it does not come up. Your probably lying given your initial response. I'm not sure if many people even own the Undefeated yet as they were just barely released.

July 14, 2013 09:30 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
Ive seen it somewhere. Not implying Ive lied. Possibly it got taken down.

Oh whale found it: http://www.pedalroom.com/forums/general...

July 14, 2013 09:36 AM
Jaysumthin
21 posts
5 bikes
Do you even know how much thought and new technology was put into the Caad 10 this year? BAD, you should stop being a troll. You also call a track bike a fixie..

July 14, 2013 09:45 AM
@Jaysumthin

And that thread by the way was before the Undefeated was even released, so it really holds no weight / credibility. And seriously broke the cranks?

If you can break a set of $200 omnium cranks which most consider bombproof you need to be in the tour de france...like today, lol.

Bit suspicious of that thread as well since they keep saying "go to bikesdirect" so maybe slanderous marketing is part of bikesdirect marketing strategy. Honestly have heard of bikesdirect people posing as real people on forums. It's a pretty pathetic tactic.

July 14, 2013 10:00 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
@Frick

You gotta read what I was responding to before you make judgement. Bit of a ridiculous statement there by the caad10 owner.

July 14, 2013 10:02 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
Well I'm done here, 12am boredom leads to this mess. Goodluck with the advertisment.

July 14, 2013 10:03 AM
Jaysumthin
21 posts
5 bikes
Probably made this account solely to post this post. Haha

July 14, 2013 10:05 AM
unbiasedmark
34 posts
4 bikes
Why don't you compare the geometry of the two frames? This bike looks like you'll be uncomfortable and stretched out when your riding it. Is the geometry even made for the track or does have more of a road friendly type of geometry. I mean brand names,tubing and paint jobs aren't the only reasons for the pricing on these frames. Lastly as for that bb cracking story makes me rather get a leader frame. Quality over quantity bro.

July 14, 2013 10:05 AM
Deon
1 post
0 bikes
@Deon

The histogram, undefeated, and super pista are all advertised as track bikes.

Realize that the cracked BB comment was made in an older thread before the Undefeated was even released. So unless that guy was Psychic, he is probably just a competitor saying bad stuff about a brand.

And with any manufacturer you will get bikes with defects. All major companies get their fair share...and most of these companies manufacture their frames in Taiwan.

July 14, 2013 11:21 AM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
∧ Mostly made in China, not Taiwan. China is notorious for following bad QC protocols.

July 14, 2013 01:33 PM
pedalconsumption
142 posts
5 bikes
This same kind of thing is happening over at Bike Forums right now - dudes affiliated with State (but claiming they're not) creating new accounts solely for singing the praises of a bike nobody gives a shit about.

I guess I understand. It costs a lot of money for a company to develop new products, have them manufactured to their specs and import them so it makes sense that State is trying to move them any way they can. I wish they could be a little more honest about it though, instead of employing people to pretend they are potential customers on forums.

Swing and miss.

July 14, 2013 01:42 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
This guy BAD just makes me loose any and all respect I might have had for "state".

And that wasn't alot because its a shit brand in which I have ridden before due to friends having them and to say the least hating them as well

July 14, 2013 06:38 PM
MattyMo
139 posts
14 bikes
@matty

I compare three bikes...compliment three different brands with similar specs. Some people hate cinelli, bianchi, etc. Seen guys sell histograms because it was not for them either. Makes no sense to buy something you do not like. In the end all three of these bikes will perform great. Jist depends what your budget is.

July 14, 2013 07:48 PM
BAD
21 posts
0 bikes
Regardless, Zeb makes these forums worth reading.

July 14, 2013 07:52 PM
Definitely NOT Cinelli MASH... I personally know the factory that makes them. Regardless, QC is horrendous in China and some what in Taiwan. Frames that didn't pass QC either get rebranded and sold as a nameless frame, or they attempt to fix the issue as best as possible and the company buys them at a discount price. Then, they are homogenized back into their existing inventory. It's a bad practice, but many companies do that.

July 14, 2013 10:10 PM
pedalconsumption
142 posts
5 bikes
BAD - if you're ever going to be any kind of decent shill it will do you some good to research, then speak. Not having the right knowledge before spouting off a bunch of "facts" in a public forum will only make you look like an ass.

I also know where Cinelli's aluminum frames are manufactured and it's obvious you've never ever seen a Histogram, Bolt or Vigorelli frameset in real life because if so, you would know they come with a 'Made in China' decal right on the bottom of the BB shell.

As an experienced shop owner who sells both Cinelli and Leader (as well as many other brands), I personally choose to ride a Leader.

July 14, 2013 10:49 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
not a spokesperson, but your first post on pedalroom pushes state?
you ain't gotta front, homie.
advertise as much as you want, but this is the internets.
and it's serious businesssszzz

July 15, 2013 12:40 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.