Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Flexing in the drops

(closed)
I used to have Deda Pistas, and I loved them. They were super stiff when pulling hard in the drops while sprinting. Now I'm starting to move to longer duration rides, and well the dedas just aren't very comfortable.

I've now got a pair of bontrager vr lite 31.8 compact bars which feel awesome. The shallower drop is far more comfortable. The only thing now is when I pull up to sprint, these bars flex quite a bit. This flex isn't in the stem or the clamp area, its like a springy motion in the curve of the drops themselves. And since I am not used to it, it is getting a little annoying while sprinting to have this movement in the cockpit. I'm positive I've got the bars tightened properly and set up correctly.

I was just wondering, is this flex normal in compact bars? I've read that pista bars are generally stiffer, but no one has commented how stiff compact/traditional bars are for sprinting. I'm not going to sprint heavily in these bars, and when i do i'll use the pistas, but occasionally I'll race my friends while on longer rides.

February 27, 2013 04:58 AM
onitsukatiger
72 posts
2 bikes
i got the fsa omega compact and yes i do feel a SLIGHT flex only

i had a soma 456 track drop, and i didnt feel any flex at all

February 27, 2013 05:28 AM
I feel quite a bit of flex in some of the road drop bars I've ridden. For example, the 3TTT Forma SL bars I'm riding now flex quite a bit.

February 27, 2013 06:20 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
Ritchey Logic Classic Curve. Not much flex. A hell of a lot more comfortable haha :P I hate my Deda Pista's

February 27, 2013 06:53 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Ritchey and 3T have some pretty stiff road drops. Thomson also has road drops coming out as well, which should prove to be monstrously stiff if they're anything like their seat posts.

February 27, 2013 07:15 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
^^

their road bars are carbon btw, and will be compared to other carbon drops

February 27, 2013 07:19 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.