Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Fork cut too short, can't fit full headset on!

(closed)
If you notice on my GTB that the Lock Nut is missing from the headset. I was told by fellow spectators on here that it's something of concern. I took it to a bike shop and they said "Fork is cut too short, but everything is solid, not loose, may become an issue in the future." So now I am asking what I should do. Replace the fork ASAP, or let it be...?? I don't want to have to replace this considering I dropped $700 on the frameset + headset. Fork I wanna replace it with is on the low $300.

June 1, 2015 03:28 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I mean I would replace the fork. Go for a wound up

June 1, 2015 03:47 AM
stewart13
138 posts
5 bikes
I want to know is, does it fuck up the frame itself, or just the fork and headset? The frame is most fucking important.

Scrod from Retro-gression, I'd like to see your input on this!

June 1, 2015 03:50 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I have the money to buy one, I just hate the fact now how my bike is so fucking valuable. I hear about people having two locks cut. That's fucking extensive when it was done to a Mountain Bike.

Owning such a nice bike is nerve racking. Haha

June 1, 2015 03:52 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes

June 1, 2015 04:04 AM
Benson
134 posts
22 bikes
Wise! I may check into that!

June 1, 2015 04:16 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I have a hardly used grip nut that all black if you end up going that direction.

June 1, 2015 04:44 AM
fucking face the fucking headtube a couple fucking millimeters and see if that fucking helps at fucking all. I had to fucking do that to my fucking GT because the fork was too fucking short for the chris king grip nut fucking stack height. If that don't work, i would just get a new fucking fork. And in that case, I would get a fucking wound up. But no, it won't fuck up the frame at all.

June 1, 2015 05:11 AM
Deluxe
222 posts
12 bikes
Both of you are reported for language violation.

June 1, 2015 05:12 AM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
29 bikes
shit.

June 1, 2015 05:13 AM
Deluxe
222 posts
12 bikes
A swear jar. That'll get some funding going for this website.
No it won't fuck your shit. It'll get loose, so when you are doing a nose pick over that spine ramp in the background you can reach down and tighten it back up with your bare hands. If it gets really loose it may start to damage the threads as they bash against the cups. Get new forks and sell these ones to someone who has a smaller frame.
Simple.

June 1, 2015 11:04 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Okay guys, the bike shop I went to said that there isn't any threading left, so there is no way to fit the lock nut on. What threading will it potentially fuck up?

June 1, 2015 04:20 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I feel like it just might be worth it to get a different fork. Seeing how short the fork is cut, facing the head tube won't make hardly a difference. And relying on only one threaded piece to keep everything in place is a lot to risk for the sake of riding the original fork. If that goes, everything else will. And IMO, the original forks on the GT's are a little weird looking. The fork blades look like they have a kink, and then the fork bends.

But do what you think is right, it's your bike man!

June 1, 2015 04:38 PM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
29 bikes
Everything else? So the frame is in jeopardy?

June 1, 2015 04:44 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
The frame isn't, but the headset might be if the single threaded peice on top comes loose. It's a pretty sketchy headset setup to be riding for a track bike on the street.

June 1, 2015 05:32 PM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
29 bikes
Well what am I supposed to do about finding a fork? Can't find them on eBay at the moment, and I don't want to pre-order a $350 fork. I could use another GTB fork that hasn't been cut, but what are the chances of that happening... fuck

June 1, 2015 05:49 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
there's a lot of other 1inch forks out there other than wound up and gt OG, look around. make a pedalroom marketplace post, check CL, ebay, etc. You aren't limited to those two forks.

June 1, 2015 07:15 PM
Deluxe
222 posts
12 bikes
Scrods busy eating nachos

June 1, 2015 09:07 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes

June 1, 2015 09:31 PM
just keep hunting on e-bay i found a 1" fork no problem on there. some nice ones were floating around too. i'm not sure if this would work but it seems as though chris king has a pretty good stack height with their headsets maybe a different headset could fit better? again, not sure.

June 1, 2015 10:46 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
get a flat crown lugged fork, they're literally the best looking fork style. find a used one with the right steerer length on njs-export and have it powder coated black. Probably like $200 for the whole process.

June 2, 2015 01:00 AM
GromCake
209 posts
11 bikes
grip nut might also work, or do some research on lower stack height threaded headsets.

June 2, 2015 01:01 AM
GromCake
209 posts
11 bikes
Sorry...I was busy stuffing my face full of delicious nachos.

I bet I could find you a replacement fork. It may not be a GT Kinesis fork but it will be just as good.

June 2, 2015 03:36 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
Can you dude? Either that or the Chris King GripNut I had inquired about...

June 2, 2015 04:33 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
i vote wound up, or like time carbon or ec90

June 2, 2015 05:15 PM
ridingfixed
356 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.