Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Fork cut too short, headset problems.

(closed)
For anyone that remembers, I had an issue with my fork being too short, and have been riding without the lock nut being attached. Riding tonight I noticed my head set has came loose. This is the first I have noticed, and now I'm concerned that now when my replacement fork comes in the mail, I'll have another problem to deal with. Does this mean my head set might be done? It's not super loose to the point the stem is moving around, but it has came loose!

Advice very much needed!

June 16, 2015 03:53 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
It's called a locknut for a reason, to lock the upper race so that it won't loosen over time from turning your handlebars. If you continue to ride without one, then you'll likely damage the headset.

June 16, 2015 04:16 AM
m_sobie
35 posts
28 bikes
That's what I thought. I also know man, I just am obligated to bike. I bought it like that, and that's unfortunate for the price I paid.

June 16, 2015 04:18 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
It's unfortunate that you found yourself in this situation. If this bike is valuable to you, I would consider restraining from riding until you have it setup properly. However, if you really feel obligated to ride it, pay close attention to the headset and stay on top of it during every ride to ensure it remains properly adjusted.

June 16, 2015 04:29 AM
m_sobie
35 posts
28 bikes
No I have been borrowed a bike fortunately. But yeah this bike means a lot, and I do plan to get it properly put together in the next week!

June 16, 2015 05:01 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
I feel like the new fork may be the answer to your problems. You got the soma fork?

June 16, 2015 05:09 AM
GeorgeWashingtonMobsDeep
316 posts
33 bikes
????
Use that big strong right hand of yours, reach down and tighten the headset. You can even do it while riding! Or when you stop at traffic lights. You don't have to wait until you get home. If you keep it hand tight all the time it will be fine until you get your replacement forks.
Like I said in your other thread, go and get a set off an old bike from somewhere. It doesn't matter what they are. They're only temporary.
Or keep hand tightening what you've got.

June 16, 2015 10:52 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
before i knew anything at all about working on bikes i would hand tighten my headset every couple of blocks while riding. i was a working messenger at the time so i would do this ALL day, then i realized it was not that hard to fix...oops

June 16, 2015 03:26 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Haha yeah I did hand tightened it. But I'm still gonna just use my friends bike. I bought a nice black soma fork off eBay that hasn't shipped yet. I just don't wanna have to replace the head set.

June 16, 2015 04:58 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes

June 17, 2015 05:34 AM
rideDSF
47 posts
0 bikes
^ that won't fix anything here. it's 25.4mm in diameter on the insertion side. it's meant for 1-1/8" set-ups, not a 1" set-up, which is what OP's dealing with.

June 17, 2015 03:16 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
I have a nice black Soma fork on it's way from Utah. Hoping to get that shit Monday, I been riding a pretty lame bike...

June 20, 2015 05:11 AM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Good to hear.
If the new fork has a long steerer tube you may have to cut it down. Argh! Forks can be sold with long steerers so they will fit a wider variety of frame sizes.
If you do have to cut it down please be careful. You'll need to put the top race on, lock ring and then work out the height of the lock nut. And cut. Er on the side of not cutting enough off. You can always cut again. Cut off too much and you're back to square one.

June 21, 2015 11:04 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
You know what is fucked? They sent me the wrong fork, and they don't have any others of the length I need! So I went and ordered one straight from Soma. Fuck eBay sometimes!

June 21, 2015 11:43 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.