Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Gatorskin sidewall thread

(closed)
So about 3 months back I had a new front rim built (H+Sons Archetype) and shine then the thread on the sidewall has literally split open shredded in half. The time is less than a year old yet has little miles I live in a 5 mile bubble, city riding only. This wheel makes your tire have more of a square rather than a bulb. More road contact compared to typical rim. So my question is do you think the different style rim did this after using same tire on standard rim? If so should I try and get a new tire from dealership as a manufacture defect?

August 21, 2013 02:13 AM
whiskeyshots
19 posts
1 bike
well its not the rim. i have hplusson tb14's, same width as your archetype's. But no problem with my tires so far and I've had them for 6 months+

August 21, 2013 04:18 AM
unbiasedmark
34 posts
4 bikes
The outer orange threads on Gatorskin sidewalls are known to fall apart easily. It may look like shit but has no structural effect.

August 21, 2013 11:59 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
He said the side wall split open in half. I'm sure that definitely qualifies for structural damage.

August 21, 2013 03:31 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
You're rim didn't do that to the tire. The only thing I can think of is it being the tire itself. Maybe it is defected. Contact the company, explain the scenario, and go from there.

August 21, 2013 03:35 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
[quote=BRNDNLPZ said:]He said the side wall split open in half. I'm sure that definitely qualifies for structural damage.[/quote]

Considering he doesn't know the difference between a [i]rim[/i] and [i]wheel[/i], I'm skeptical until I see a pic.

The amount of people I've encountered who think their Gatorskins are ready for the dumpster because the sidewalls start fraying is unbelievable. Also, running under recommended psi (which could very well be the issue here) will do a number on just about any tire's sidewall.

August 21, 2013 04:14 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Haha. Very true..
OP never distinguished between the rim and tire in the description. The only reason why I assume it's the tire and not the rim is because this thread is entitled "Gatorsin Sidewall Thread."
I agree on the tire threads. It happened to me and I couldn't make anything of it at first, but the tire was fine so I kept riding.
Until the OP shows pictures or is more specific, coming to a conclusion will be tough.

August 21, 2013 04:58 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I was only asking to see if I should try and get a new tire from dealer or if this was normal. I'm not about to chunk a tire which still has plenty of thread. Also, I apologize for not knowing differences between a wheel and a rim. Maybe I should Wikipedia these terms. But truthfully I don't care much. It's a bike it gets me from point A to B. All I wanted while doing this first build myself, minus lacing the wheel or rim or whatever you call the thing that rolls, is for it to have the best parts I could afford and be of quality stuff.
Here are pics to clarify the issue. [img]/f/bea236fb11_1.jpg[/img][img]/f/bea236fb11_2.jpg[/img]
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo

August 22, 2013 06:19 AM
whiskeyshots
19 posts
1 bike
The tire is a-ok. The threads on Gatorskins aren't that great so it's normal for that happen. It happened to me too.

August 22, 2013 06:55 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
It's the tire and the psi. Going over the recomended psi does it. I push my s4000's to 135 and that's ten over. The s4000's break threads along the bead and you pretty much Tear them off an it's like three feet of thread. I wonte be buying them again. That and they wear like shit but then again I've only had two flats in a year so who knows

August 23, 2013 03:34 AM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Back to your question sorry. Tell them that you only pumped it up to its recomended psi. If you fault your self by saying otherwise then your burnt. Ask them for a differant brand

August 23, 2013 03:36 AM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Yes, lying to get free stuff is always a very respectable thing to advise. Good job.

August 23, 2013 11:37 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Thanks for the input and to clairify I run my tires under recommended pressure at 112 front and 115 rear. According to my local shop here my tires are fine and I feel the same way about them.

August 23, 2013 02:04 PM
whiskeyshots
19 posts
1 bike
Srodzilla your a fuckin douche

August 29, 2013 01:57 AM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
You should run your tires at the recommended psi to ensure there efficiency and longevity.

August 29, 2013 02:06 AM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Yes, clearly [i]I'm[/i] the "douche" here.

August 29, 2013 11:20 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.