Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Gluing Tubulars

(closed)
Hey everyone, just got a pair of Vittoria Pista Evo CS tires for the track bike. I really dont want to spend any money going to the LBS to get them glued on my wheels. What would be the best or efficient way to glue on tubulars? I don't want to use Tufo Tape.

February 7, 2014 04:34 PM
neilmandude
38 posts
5 bikes
Look up on YouTube how to "professionally" put a tubular rim on, it takes about 1-2 days though.

February 7, 2014 05:54 PM
gluing takes more than 2 days.. its at least a few days to do to it properly.

step 1 - mount the tire on the wheel to stretch it at least 24hrs (if you have a deep carbon wheel, make sure you install your valve extender with plumbing tape)
step 2 -glue the tubular tire and wheel (use the valve hole as a starting point) on the same day, then let it dry for 24hrs
step 3 -glue the wheel (from the starting point), then let it dry for 24hrs
step 4 - glue another coat and then let it dry for 24hrs.
step 5 - glue the wheel and tire, and let it sit for 15 mins (till its somewhat dry and tacky and your tubular tire is at least 25 to 30psi) then mount it, make sure your tire is sitting straight you have a slight time to adjust before your glue fully drys out. once you got that right, pump it at 150 psi (to let the tire expand and glue to spread out) and let that sit for 24hrs.

boom done.

February 7, 2014 08:16 PM
^wheel doesn't need 3 layers to dry for 24 hrs. most people do two fully dried layers, some just 1. 2 is recommended though

February 7, 2014 09:47 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
tubular tape works great. Other then that.... $40 from a LBS to glue is not bad.

February 7, 2014 11:39 PM
FeFst
92 posts
5 bikes
i did 2 layers, it doesnt work for me

February 7, 2014 11:49 PM
Too bad you don't want to use Tufo tape. It makes an indestructible connection from tire to rim. Only problem is getting the tire off!
30 years ago when I raced a lot, I remember being flatting out on the road 50 miles from home and changing tires without adding any glue other than what was already on the rim. What was already on there was sticky enough and I never had a problem. I don't remember ever using 2 layers of glue. I rode a lot and would buy my training tubulars 10 at a time. I became a lot less fearful of my tires coming off the rim over time. It never once happened.

February 9, 2014 08:17 PM
zippy2012
77 posts
8 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.