Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Good and comfy singlespeed/track frame, no toe overlap?

(closed)
I'm looking for a good quality, readily available singlespeed/fix frame, but one that has no toe overlap, and can accomodate large tires (atleast 28mm). But that is an otherwise standard SS frame (120 dropouts, track ends etc etc.)
Any ideas, I have been looking at and considering the purchase of the following framse: Pake rum runner,
the Affinity metropolitan,
and the Brooklyn machine gangsta track,
but I have no first hand experience with these frames so I dont know which has the toe
overlap, which I hate so much. Anyone have experience with these bikes?
I like comfortable riding bikes too.
Thanks

November 16, 2013 10:55 PM
Kilo titties

All track bike have toe overlap

November 16, 2013 11:20 PM
I can speak for the Rum Runner it's a great frame. With the stock fork (38mm rake), 165mm cranks, and large toe clips - I don't have overlap. It's close enough that if I ran 170mm cranks I would probably get overlap though. The frame alone doesn't determine overlap though: fork rake, crank length and where your foot is on the pedal (Toe clip size or cleat position) all play a role in it as well. It's a nice frameset for the price though and you can definitely avoid overlap with it.

November 16, 2013 11:50 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
GromCake is riding a 59cm though. With a 53cm frame you are most likely to have overlap. But a frame with no toe overlap is no fun!

November 17, 2013 12:02 AM
That's another thing that will play a role in overlap, didn't even think of that.

November 17, 2013 12:27 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
There's also the highly recommended All-City Big block.
I want to get one, but I might want the lavender one.

November 17, 2013 01:30 AM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
toe overlap really isn't a big deal...just gotta lean into your turns.
and not sure on pricing, but i think the pake is gonna be the easier to attain.

November 17, 2013 02:19 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Also check out eighthinch manifest frameset

November 17, 2013 02:42 AM
Kilo titties......bahahahahaha

November 17, 2013 03:01 AM
Eighth inch scramblers are pretty comfy and durable, not sure what tire size they could accommodate though

November 17, 2013 03:16 AM
AznChiliSauce
103 posts
9 bikes
road conversion.

even most road bikes have some tow over laps...

November 17, 2013 05:32 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
To clarify, I am not looking for a true specification track bike, not interested in those, yes I understand that those will have toe overlap, I just use that word "track" because I like the tight geometry of track bikes in general just not the toe overlap.
I have never had a bike with substantial toe over lap until riding the bike I have now.
I got toe overlap big time, even with 23mm tires and it is driving me crazy.
The Fuji Feather 58cm frame I once owned had no toe overlap and there was even space, maybe over an inch of space between my toe clips and tire, although I usually rode with 700x23 tires and 170 cranks. I rode the Fuji with large pedals and clips, the MKS sylvan touring pedals with these big origin8 double strap and double "eyelet" clips which extended out more than average single strap clips, if I am remembering correctly. I like this setup because it is comfortable and I am used to it and it works very well, but this is not what I am using currently. And what I have now is a Bianchi pista 55cm with 23 tires and there is almost unavoidable toe overlap with the slightest angle of say 10%'s there is an inch of overlap it makes me fearful of making turns. I usually use conversions. Thanks everyone for the responses I have learned alot. Still considering frames, please tell me of the frames you know have no toeoverlap, and I have one more request: steel only, no aluminum, carbon.

November 17, 2013 10:15 AM
Kilo titties!

November 17, 2013 03:21 PM
I think if you stop turning like a grandma around corners, toe overlap shouldn't be a problem. You like track bikes because of the "tight geometry?"
Well, that's exactly was causes overlap. It sounds like you're a little confused.

November 17, 2013 03:42 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
What kind of riding do you do? Maybe a FGFS style bike would better suit you.

November 17, 2013 03:46 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
dawes sst

edit: might not have toe overlap. just a hunch

November 18, 2013 12:09 AM
onitsukatiger
74 posts
2 bikes
My dawes still have a slight toe overlap, just the tip of my shoes are rubbing

November 18, 2013 03:24 AM
surly steamroller is supposed to have a really relaxed geo

November 18, 2013 05:06 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
This just in!
I am using 170 cranks, with a 55 frame, Bianchi Pista for the archives has toe overlap. The toe overlap isn't a problem no more, I've learn to ride with it and lean into turns. Still I'd like another frame, I am giving the Big block the hardest look as of now thanks rushing! Also I am considering the nature boy. Any one know where I can order All City frames from? I think I tried the steamroller, I didn't like it if I can remember it was way too relaxed felt weird like a crosscheck frame, I don't know if I'm remembering correctly.

November 21, 2013 09:08 AM
I forgot that longer crank arms do factor into toe overlap. More so on smaller sized frames rather than medium/ large sizes. I totally want a Big Block to have as an "all around" kind of bike. The Nature Boy might be similar to the Steamroller, since Nature Boy is a single speed that can fit big tires. It can be built into more of a cross bike.

November 21, 2013 04:14 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Go with the Pake Rum Runner. I've owned one and didn't have a problem with overlap on a 51cm running 165mm cranks and 25c tires. Don't know what size you ride but you can get a 51cm frame on ebay for $139 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pake-Rum-Runner...

December 6, 2013 08:22 PM
-Gil-L-
8 posts
12 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.