Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Guerciotti Scratch

(closed)
[img]/f/1d31241e62_1.jpg[/img]
Does anyone know anything about this frame? I saw it in a local bike shop and I'm taking it into consideration to replace my current frame. I've done some research about it and it says that it has a Scandium 61.10 tubing, which I've never heard of before.

I would be very thankful if anyone could help me as I am clueless about this frame. Any info about this frame would be very helpful for me.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

December 6, 2012 06:43 PM
jodhigahara
9 posts
3 bikes
Scandium 61.10 was talked about in another forum long ago (thanks Google!). You can view the topic [url=http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/126259/s...]

The headtube angle is pretty steep-even for a track bike according to a few people—and you can see that in the image you provided. I hope this is for track or short street jaunts. Kinda goes against its namesake since scratch races are long and there is really no need for such a steep headtube angle.

Guerciotti seems to be a horrible company to deal with if something's wrong with the frame/fork as recounted in this [url=http://velospace.org/forums/discussion/... thread (starts on page 2)[/url].

But hey, if its super cheap and you don't care about all that, go for it.

December 6, 2012 07:24 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
scandium is pretty light, and my experience with it is that it's very nimble.
my road bike is a combo of scandium and carbon stays so my opinion might be biased or whatever, but i've liked the ride on it very much.
but don't take my word for it, i just like to have fun on my bike

December 6, 2012 08:53 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Is Scandium 61.10 better than Columbus XLR8R?

December 7, 2012 12:32 AM
jodhigahara
9 posts
3 bikes
Not sure what you mean by better? There's always tradeoffs between things. IM(limited)O, its not the material that always makes the difference (in this case two types of aluminum)—its how the material is used. So, unless you were able to ride two Scratches—one made with Scandium, the other made with Columbus XLR8R— there's no way of really comparing the two materials.

This is where a materials expert chimes in and proves me wrong...

December 7, 2012 01:32 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
What i meant is this: There's an alternative frame option, a Colossi frame which uses a Columbus XLR8R tubing, and I can't make up my mind which one to buy..

December 7, 2012 06:39 AM
jodhigahara
9 posts
3 bikes
I would think that geometry would be a better indicator of which is a more likely frame to get for you than something like which aluminum is better—which to me seems pretty trivial.

December 7, 2012 08:17 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
there was a guy on velospace (might be on here as well?) who had one and he had a bunch of problems with it, plus guerciotti had really bad customer support

January 10, 2013 11:06 PM
cchhrriiss
13 posts
5 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.