Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Hed 3 (Tubular or Clincher) Front

(closed)
Hi guys i was wondering what is better a tubular or clincher front better for the HED 3?
Please leave a comment and help me out.

August 3, 2013 03:36 AM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike
What're you using it for...?

August 3, 2013 04:17 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Just to ride.

August 3, 2013 04:21 AM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike
To ride on the street or track?

August 3, 2013 05:34 AM
I'm assuming streets.. just get clincher

August 3, 2013 03:58 PM
the tubular is much more faster for mashing through streets
scientifically proven that youll mash faster
mash mash mash

August 3, 2013 07:03 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
I see. Is it a big difference for the Hed 3 if you get 650 and 700, like riding difference

August 4, 2013 08:45 PM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike
I see. Is it a big difference for the Hed 3 if you get 650 and 700, like riding difference

August 4, 2013 08:46 PM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike
if your bike isnt made for a 650 wheel, it will feel really bad.

August 5, 2013 01:27 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
On a Leader 735?

August 6, 2013 12:14 AM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike
take the clincher....

August 6, 2013 09:32 AM
strange
201 posts
35 bikes
I can't wait for this dumb Hed 3 trend to be over with. I wonder what the next one will be?

August 6, 2013 06:21 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
i think its because hed3 doesnt effect much while you cruise in the city..

August 7, 2013 02:27 AM
It's just fucking dumb. Nobody riding on the street needs a Hed 3 or 200mm deep carbon rims. They're just fashion accessories.

August 7, 2013 12:17 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
+1 ^^

August 7, 2013 01:56 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
You cannot true them
Must be converted to a frisbee or a wall hanger when cracked
Heavy
Aerodynamics are minimal unless you average 18ish mph+

However they are considered "bombproof" in terms of their weight capacity and durability
(I don't see how they would but more durable than a spoke wheel)
They look fucking amazing

August 7, 2013 07:34 PM
Davidd
14 posts
0 bikes
[quote][i]Akuma said:

But are there any practical reasons they suck?[/i][/quote]

You mean aside from them being [b]impractical[/b] and completely unnecessary? Whatever, man...it's your money.

August 7, 2013 08:34 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Dude, you obviously don't get it. You're not racing. You don't need a fucking $500 aero carbon wheel. It's a dumb trend that will be replaced by something else soon enough.

At the end of the day, who gives a shit about my opinion or what's actually practical for riding 15 mph (if that) on the street? If you like the way they look and have nothing better to spend your money on, buy one. Hell, buy two. Then you'll be twice as cool on the internet.

August 8, 2013 11:41 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
the previous point about not being able to true them is a pretty good one. no noticeable increase in performance and youll have the potential of a 500 dollar loss if it breaks, since you really cant fix them. side winds are a good one too, yaw angle affects you much more at low speeds, so an aero carbon wheel for slow speeds will actually slow you down. heavy. I personally also think it looks dumb to have an aero front wheel and a low profile rear. from a racers perspective, when people first started doing it all i could think was "theyre doing that wrong, why are they doing that? i hope a gust of wind doesnt take them out. i hope they dont lock that thing up. they dont even have a proper fit, and they have an aero front?"

August 9, 2013 01:29 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
They do have a good point. The crosswind gets really bad on a windy day. I can feel it going downhill. In my honest opinion, I wouldnt spend that kind of money on a tri spoke. Rather save up a little bit more and get a good wheelset. But i only got my front tri spoke for 60 bucks, so its a deal i couldnt pass. But to answer your question, I would prefer clincher for the street because then you would be able to change out your tires more often if they have been on your wheel for a long time, taking damage from the rigged streets. And its cheaper =)

August 9, 2013 01:51 AM
Is anyone capable of forming their own opinions and learning from experience anymore? What do you kids do when you have to order lunch?

August 9, 2013 03:25 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Funny someone said that it is not good for the front but if you watch the Zipp Firecrest testing videos they basically say that the front aero does the most work cutting the wind, there is marginal advantages to the aero back wheel since it just stabilizes the already choppy air from the front. All the aero advantage comes from the front.

August 9, 2013 06:25 PM
yes, the front is the leading edge, youre right. but keep in mind, zipp is trying to sell you wheels. they, like every other aero wheel manufacturer (dont get me wrong, i love zipp wheels) will tell you what they need to, to sell it to you. They would never tell you that an aero front at low speeds is probably actually slowing you down.

just some food for though, obviously the hed 3 is much cheaper than a lot of aero wheels. its not as bad as some of the dudes here in hawaii that have a deep v velocity rear and a zipp 1080 clincher on the front. with a gatorskin clincher on it i might add (slow tire plus aero wheel = mediocre speed?)

but i think there is more fun to be had RIDING your bike if you buy a sweet hand build wheel set.

August 9, 2013 07:00 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Not denying that Aero wheels have marginal benefits on the street but someone mentioned how stupid it is to put one only on the front and I beg to differ...I think it's quite stupid to see all these fools with Aerospokes only on the back when it is quite common knowledge that aero up front is the greater advantage.

I feel you on the Zipp propaganda but how often do you get a chance to truly see how wind forces act on a wheel/frameset then in a controlled wind tunnel environment.

BTW. I'm not condoning Aero wheelsets in the least, I actually ride Profile/Velocity my self I really just can't stand ppl trashing others builds...build what u like, ride what u like...whatever gets you out there. I don't understand why all the condescending answers to a kid when they ask a simple question. REMEMBER: We can trash anyone's build because in the end it's all subjective.

August 9, 2013 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. I now have kind of an idea what i want to do. Thanks for the negative and positive responses. It helped a lot Thank you.

August 9, 2013 11:27 PM
uniquetop
14 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.