Forums > General Discussion >

Hed 3 (Tubular or Clincher) Front

(closed)

August 10, 2013 05:51 AM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes

August 10, 2013 06:51 AM
Man if I had 500$ I would use it for a good hand built wheelset with dura ace, Paul, or Phil hubs. No need to waste on one wheel if I'm going to be hitting bumps on the street. Let alone not even in the track.

August 10, 2013 09:05 AM
G0DLiK3_T3DDY
89 posts
3 bikes
@scrod
its going be a trend of the corima 4spoke lol

August 10, 2013 09:09 AM
G0DLiK3_T3DDY
89 posts
3 bikes
Tubular or clincher?
Years ago tubular (singles) were way more efficient. But in the last 10 maybe 15 years clincher (high pressures) technologies has improved heaps and have just about closed the gap. I think tubulars are still in front just. The advantage with clinchers is repairs. Get a flat, easier to change. If you race at A grade level with club racing then maybe go tubulars. But really for the average punter you wouldn't know the difference. A placebo effect maybe.

Carbon fiber aero wheels on the street.
Like the others have said, no aero advantages. If it gets damaged, that's it. Traditional wheels can be tuned up if needed.

Some nice hubs and rims, stainless spokes. A set of wheels for a very long time. If you're riding fixed, track down a set of Suntour Suberb Pro hubs with the black bearing dust caps. They're the bomb. Loose bearings and adjustment with sealed bearing seals. If worn out pop out the races and put in sealed bearings. (Sorry got off track)

Just get a good traditional wheel set. You'll get many good years service from them and they never go out of style.

August 10, 2013 10:52 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
With clincher rims.

August 10, 2013 11:03 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.