Home
Forums > General Discussion >

How to avoid punctures

(closed)
The dreaded puncture is the most frustrating aspect of cycling for many a bike rider . I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to help avoid getting one . I have been too careful to take care of my tyres and watch the road to avoid broken glass or piece of metal .
Attached Photos:
Post photo

August 7, 2015 07:38 AM
keep your tires pumped to recommended PSI. invest in decent tires. you'll still get a puncture. they happen. bring an extra tube, tire levers and CO2 pump if you're going on a long ride. change your flat and enjoy your bike ride.

August 7, 2015 01:14 PM
Stracknasty
95 posts
0 bikes
through much research i have concluded that the only sure-fire way to avoid punctures is to avoid riding permanently.

August 7, 2015 04:04 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Why not get tire liners? I use them and I hardly ever get punctures when I go over big rocks or glass (mostly on accident). I'm also only had a huge puncture in Gator skins.

August 7, 2015 04:41 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
^^Tire liners suck, according to my customers. They prevent nothing, and end up rubbing the inside of the tubes.

August 8, 2015 12:58 AM
Use hardshells

tuffy liners

August 9, 2015 11:17 PM
i would recommend getting a better tire rather than installing a liner on a cheap tire.

August 11, 2015 06:47 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Invest in some decent tyres and you should be almost immune to punctures. Try something with a kevlar section through the tyre like gatorskins or hardshells. I had 1 or 2 punctures using gatorskins over the course of about 4 years of using them, and the ones i did were either massive nails that would've punctured a car tyre, or potholes I didn't see in the dark. Recommended PSI will help too. I'm assuming your referring to road riding here BTW.

August 11, 2015 10:55 PM
michaelcurtis
11 posts
0 bikes
Gatorskins work well. Check for embedded debris after rides

August 12, 2015 04:26 AM
Pcola
68 posts
4 bikes
Just don't get punctures.

August 12, 2015 06:25 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
TDF pro 4.0

100% puncture proof!!!!!!

August 13, 2015 04:08 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
Moose's first comment is the most fool proof way to avoid flats. :)
I've heard that spin bikes are very resilient to flats too.

Keeping the tyres properly inflated helps to avoid pinch flats. But hitting potholes at speed, pssss.
Old tyres tend to puncture more easily that new ones.
Bad luck is a bitch too. Ride over everything with no flats for years. And then it seems like every week there's a flat.

Used to run a thorn proof tube in the back on my BMX. Mates used to run two tyres. An old bald tyre with the beads cut off as a liner on the inside. Pretty heavy going.

August 14, 2015 01:10 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Invest in some solid tires and double liner them, or stop riding things with wheels and tires and use the shoelace express (this method isn't as fast).

August 19, 2015 02:08 PM
heistacks
2 posts
0 bikes
I recommend just getting over the fact that it happens. There isn't much to do to avoid them. Aside from properly inflated tires (90psi is golden), and some fairly spendy tires like Gatorskin's, or Grand Prix's! eBay to save some money! They usually are $10 to $20 cheaper and they usually come from real bike shops!

Also in case you get a flat, make sure to have a nice 15mm ratchet, spare tubes, and a hand pump!

Affinity cycles is selling a legit ratchet wrench for only $15 and I'm so happy I got it!

http://www.affinitycycles.com/shop/affi... PICK ONE UP!

August 31, 2015 07:32 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Depending on budget tubeless tires are a pretty solid way not to get a flat. You can run lower PSI and even if you do get a small puncture the sealant will fill it immediately before you flat. Plus there is not tube to pinch flat. Pretty much the only way to get a flat is if you get a sizable slice. The only downfall is the options for tubeless road wheels and tires are still relatively sparse and $$$. Going tubeless on a MTB is much more attainable as you can adapt clinchers in most cases.

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks or you're riding fixed, as others have said before, I recommend Gatorskins.

September 3, 2015 01:03 PM
tinj
2 posts
6 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.