Home
Forums > General Discussion >

H+Son TB14 General Thread

(closed)
I was wondering if anyone here in the group has built up and/or bought a pre built set of H+Son TB14's for their bike?

Curious to know how and why you like them? What kind of hubs they were laced to? What was the spoke count on each wheel + lacing pattern? What kind of spokes did you guys/girls use?

What are some characteristics on ride feel? How do they ride? Too stiff? Not stiff enough? Easy to install tires + tubes?

Is there anything you didn't like?

You can include photos and show your wheelset too if you'd like!

I was looking into building up a polished set of TB14's to save money over the price of HED Belgium + hoops, also mainly because they have more of a classic and minimalistic aesthetic which is what I'm going for!

April 3, 2017 11:22 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I bought/built a set of silver tb14s to dura ace 7710s 32h with sapim lasers 3x front and rear.

I did this mainly to see if I could notice a difference between high and low flange hubs and box section vs modern aluminium rims. I couldn't. Tb14s have a great look, braking surface, aren't heavy, and don't cost a lot.

My only complaint is that the ERD was off enough from their spec that I had to get my spokes cut. Sapim lasers are awesome btw

Belgium+s are more wider and more lighter and more betterer, but they're also like $80 more per rim? You talk pretty big though so maybe they'll help you out

April 4, 2017 05:31 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
Would you say the TB14 wheelset (the way you built them up) was comfty? I've heard tons of people bring up that point but not sure if it's actually true. I'm just trying to build up the perfect do it all wheelset for my Speedvagen.

April 4, 2017 07:09 AM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I think having a 32h spoke count for that wheelset is crazy overkill, I also think the sapim laser spokes > sapim race. The look of the TB14 and the belgium is also way different. Are you just thinking the TB14 cause you can do silver? Kinlin also makes some wide rims that arent very deep. Check out the kinlin XR22T, also look at the Velocity Quill.

April 4, 2017 03:38 PM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
Why do you personally think 32 spokes is overkill? I mean I can obviously go 20/24 considering I'm only 130lbs at 5 feet 11 inches tall, but that's not the point. The point is I would like the wheelset to be able to take absolutely anything I throw at it.

TB14's laced to White Industries T11 road hubs would be absolutely practical and versatile as a wheelset. Not to mention I've heard low section box rims are very plush and compliant, and that's all I personally care about while riding: COMFORT.

April 4, 2017 07:04 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I ride 20/24 and I weigh 190lbs. I know 32h is overkill. I am not very gentle on my road wheels, I have had a spoke pull out BUT that's cause it was not properly tensioned and trued. 20/24 or even 24/28 will more than suffice with what you throw at it.

If you want comfort run bigger tires at lower PSI. Some tubeless rims and 35mm tires at like 60 psi is gonna be plush AF.

I've never heard that box rims provide anymore comfort. I'd go on a limb and say that its BS but what do I know. I'd look at wider rims, as those will handle better, and possibly tubeless so that you can run at lower psi for your bum.

April 4, 2017 10:15 PM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
Yeah I already run wider tires and at lower pressures. 28-32mm tires are usually what most of my bikes fit with or without wide rims.

I'm not personally a fan of tubeless unless of course, I'm out mountain biking, that's honestly where I see the most benefit from that kind of tire/rim system.

April 4, 2017 11:26 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
My TB14s laced to low flange Phils are probably the most comfortable wheels I've ever ridden on, especially when using bigger tires. 3X front & rear because the roads in San Diego are shitty and I like strong wheels.

I keep my 28mm Gator Hardshells inflated to 110-120 psi and it's still a cushy, yet fast ride. Not sure if I'd actually notice a difference aside from aesthetics if the hoops were Archetypes, Belgiums or A23s though...

As for the ERD, I've measured, checked and re-checked it a good number of times after reading a bunch of malarkey on the interweb and always come out with 610mm - which is exactly what H+Son claims.

April 5, 2017 12:28 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Thanks a lot boss :^)

April 5, 2017 01:59 AM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I think you'll get a lot more comfort from running 28s at like 90psi than you will using tb14s over belgiums

April 5, 2017 03:36 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
I usually run 70 PSI front and 80 PSI rear with a 28 on....

April 5, 2017 04:24 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
Yikes. I'd feel like I were riding in two inches of mud.

April 5, 2017 05:45 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
I honestly don't feel any difference except more compliance. lol, but to each their own.

April 5, 2017 06:06 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I'm probably just more of a fatass than you.

#caliburritoserryday

April 5, 2017 08:03 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Ain't nothing wrong with that! Bikes and burritos are two things I love that start with a B (;

April 6, 2017 01:16 AM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.