Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Indonesians on PR

(closed)
I always had pondered this for the length that I've been on this site, but, does anybody else wonder how such a huge community from Jakarta and Indonesia in general have exceptional builds? Despite the import fees and the fact that there is no 'drome in Indonesia? I'm seeing younger riders on this site (age 13ish - 15ish) riding like 2.5k builds! LOL where does it all come from?
I don't mean to be racist nor offensive here but I hope someone knows what point I'm trying to get at.

October 23, 2012 03:28 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
i think it's really cool that all those people from overseas are into it. i could say some of their builds are way better than some of these kids in the us...

October 23, 2012 04:37 PM
sergsucks
47 posts
0 bikes
Who cares where their from or how old they are. JUST RIDE!

October 23, 2012 04:41 PM
PandaBear
83 posts
9 bikes
Amen.

October 23, 2012 05:58 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
I've always wondered how they manage to afford such expensive nice builds as well. But in the end they're actually riding it and having fun, so it doesn't really matter. But I do understand what you're trying to say haha

October 23, 2012 07:19 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
-1 million for this post.

October 23, 2012 07:26 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I agree with mustang I actually think its quite the opposite. Hundreds of jack builds with a few that actually look like a sane person put them together. I have good question. Why are there so many Indonesian users on this site?(I mean that in the least racist way possible) I'm a member on 3 other cycling forums and none have the huge Indonesian presence that pedal Room has.

October 23, 2012 08:02 PM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
Actually, in some countries, they had to decide between building excellent bikes or this:

[img]http://browncardigan.s3.amazonaws.com/i...

Or take for example the Swedes, having numerous failed attempts at fixed gears such as this:

[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m56j5...

October 24, 2012 12:24 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
^ holy fuck im dying at that gif

October 24, 2012 02:17 AM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
I'm trying to figure out where in my post did I bash on their builds, their location, or their age. Pretty sure all I asked was where they were getting all of these different quality frames and parts from. While I do agree with the whole idea of "at least they're riding", I can only agree to a certain extent. I think everybody here has seen that profile of all the tarcking builds with the converted BMC time machine and the Merckx.. makes me want to blind myself.

October 24, 2012 02:35 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Yeah lol... make a treadmill, thats MOBILE! so that you can run on a belt that makes you move at the speed that you're running at so you can run outside without actually running outside.

October 24, 2012 02:37 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
I'm pretty sure they just order it from wherever and pay international shipping?

October 24, 2012 06:11 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
i guess the economy is thriving over there in Indonesia

October 24, 2012 08:02 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
The actuality is that they (most people in asian countries) don't have the same living overhead we do in the US (which compared to most of the rest of the world is too much). Our expenditures for the most part for the average standard of living in the lower-middle to upper-middle classes far exceeds that of the same classes in other countries (edit)—if you don't need to pay for car payments/car insurance/health insurance/mortgages/expensive tuition/eating out/etc... then you pretty much can get a fancy track/road bike—especially if retailers don't add as much to the retail price as they do here.

Makes me want to live with the distant relatives for a bit.

October 24, 2012 09:10 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
While I do agree that some retailers overprice for their goods, a lot of the time its just the distributors who overprice the goods. Such as Cinelli's distributor in CA charges roughly over $600 for a histo frame while they're being sold for around 900. Most bike shops make their revenue from labor and small components, not so much frames, bikes, and larger components.

I bet in indo the distributor must sell frames to shops much cheaper to increase the sales and lower the retail price over there. Brb packing my bags and moving to taiwan. pricing there must be off the charts low.

October 24, 2012 10:19 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
No velo in indonesia? At least get your facts straight before you post something up in the internet.

October 25, 2012 05:13 PM
rapide
5 posts
1 bike
I've been to Indonesia and it's incredibly cheap... especially since Taiwan is only 3 hours away. They actually have a Bicycle Mall filled with amazing shops that carry innumerable frames, components... everything you could imagine.

I love the scene in Indo... it's like candyland.

October 25, 2012 06:13 PM
pedalconsumption
142 posts
5 bikes
That is badass

October 25, 2012 07:06 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Fuck the B/S! How are most of you guys getting these amazing builds? I know what I make from working and my expenses. I basically try to limit my budget on a max build of $2grand. Then again, I keep flipping my bikes. So I haven't spent much money on a bike in a long time. If its a mom/pops thing, that's cool. As least you're doing something productive and not hanging out on the corner. There are bikes on here that's easily $5000+., What hustle am I missing? I need in on that.

October 25, 2012 08:35 PM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
damn. putting shopping spree at indo on my bucket list. just go around buying whatever looks cool and not giving a fuck!!

October 26, 2012 02:01 AM
Not sure how they do it but I've held 2 jobs with one being a bike shop. My first job would bring in the bread and the bike shop held down the EP. I've spent a lot on my track bikes and road but then again I've saved a lot too. EP is key.

October 26, 2012 02:38 AM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
Sorry about saying there's not a velo in indo, my fault.
How about we start the Pedal Room trip to Indo fund? lets sell all of our bikes, and fly to indo to create that one ultimate dream track bike.

October 26, 2012 07:43 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
And i feel you on the EP. I was in the exact same situation during the summer when high school was out. Interned at a bike shop for the prices and worked all summer for the dough.

October 26, 2012 07:44 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
it's a lot easier to build up a 5k bike and really only spend 2k with that EP hook up. That's the hustle I know. But if you're after that rare build and EP is hopeless, then that's where your first job comes into place :)

October 26, 2012 02:13 PM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
proud to be indonesian on PR :)

October 27, 2012 03:34 AM
felixsusanto
7 posts
13 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.