Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Is it possible to make a 64 cm frame look like a 54?

(closed)
My main dilemma is whether or not there are different geometries for the head-tube and seat tube, obviously a frame that is tight seems to be extremely quick--turns, sprints, etc.
But my Eddy Merckx Super Corsa is not tight: it seems that the top-tube is almost even pointing skyward whereas a sexier bike the top-tube is just below parallel and sloping downward.
For when it slopes downward then one can run a nitto quill stem that is like a volcano sharply pointing skyward and then this angle of the stem aligns with the down-slope of the bar, and the bar's downslope is an extension of the quill's, and there seems to be no better way to run it.
My poor Merckx looks like a dinosaur because A-the top-tube slopes very slightly upward, and B-because of the top-tube a jagged jaguar quill or some other with a fifty-eight degree angle looks out of place.
And remember, it is a 64, it is gigantic, and so to make a quill fit is also to run something large to simply fit the frame--at least a 100mm.
So what's the deal on this and how is it possible that someone would not ride a sexy bike?
I mean, why would anyone ride a fixed gear that is not a vintage track frame?
I commute on my Merckx on a flat surface but still, the wind is a demon and I have to sort of swim through it--an exercise that is impossible on anything else.
If I am riding a classic bike (I felt this also with a classic motorcycle), am I allowed to commute on it? Or do I have to go carbon?

July 30, 2017 12:56 AM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
uhhhhhhhhhh

July 30, 2017 03:11 AM
Whoa. Too many questions about yourself and your relationship with your own bike and too many questions in general for the Internet to answer.

My wife is hot, has great tits, makes tons of money, and stops traffic to pick up and carry box turtles across the road to save them, but how do I get her to not be Greek?

Should I not ride her because she isn't a supermodel? Should I ask the Internet how to chop 10 cm out of a track bike that requires a 10 cm quill stem just for aesthetics?

Did terrestrial turtles and tortoises evolve from iguanodons?

Most importantly, should I order the cheese dip WITH or WITHOUT jalapeƱos?

SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I NEED

July 30, 2017 04:23 AM
eldeezy
38 posts
2 bikes
Balagadoo

July 30, 2017 04:34 AM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes

July 30, 2017 09:39 AM
Karl
285 posts
35 bikes
Your main dilemma is that you're batshit crazy.

July 30, 2017 03:41 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
All I am after is some professional keirin advice: enough of you supermodels.
My question is: how is a frame's geometry conceived--what is the physical force of gravity in relation to the bike's wheel-base.
For, spin a stem around and you will realize that the bike rolls differently.
So then, to compare a Jaguar stem with one of these modern types: they are even pointing skyward, as I said--why did this change occur?
Are the new carbon bikes as fast as the steel, or, are they only more nimble? Isn't it only ten years that this evolution into carbon has taken place?
And lastly, I have realized I mustn't commute on a classic track bike--it is only for Sundays and with the gang.
Only one day a week: the other days, take the touring bike.

July 31, 2017 01:54 PM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
Your posts read like they've gone through six layers of google translate

July 31, 2017 05:11 PM
Jehu
543 posts
13 bikes
Is there an English to Aspergers translator?

July 31, 2017 09:16 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
You are trying to shut this discussion down, I am sure of it.
But everyone's bored as hell, right?
So the point is this: when one has a million dollars, ought we to purchase a classic, super sexy Eddy Merckx?
For heaven's sake, what does Donal Trump do nowadays?
Please, I am being serious, is there a reason why a Japanese Keirin bike looks different, specifically in the relation of the Jaguar stem to the degree of the drop in the bar: if so, why did europeans never do such a thing?
The European stem rarely matches with the drop-bar.
I think that the answer is this: the Keirin bike became more rapidly only an object of Kitsch, with very little function, except, as I said, on Sundays with the gang.
Whereas Europeans are still allowed to use their classic bike for it's real purpose.
There is a middle ground: obviously one oughtn't ever to commute on a pursuit bike.

August 1, 2017 01:20 AM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
Okay, I have gotten some food in my stomach and have raced around the block, I have given it some time to ferment within me, and I have come to this conclusion, which I am sure is true for all of us here: we need a wooden track from our house to our work, with velodrome style turns.
That is all.
If we can't have that then this world is hell.
This discussion is over.

Ciao

August 1, 2017 02:20 AM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
Can you share a picture of the bike and then share a picture of what you are trying to accomplish.

I have no clue what the hell you are saying.

August 1, 2017 02:45 AM
DuddyJ
417 posts
45 bikes

August 1, 2017 02:46 AM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
Tl;dr

August 1, 2017 03:43 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
lickedwicked comes out of hiding

August 1, 2017 05:19 AM
stalag13
142 posts
7 bikes
Definitely sounds like him

August 1, 2017 01:11 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
This is like reading code, or some kind of cypher.... First, show us your bike so we can at least apprehend what the hell kind of miscorrelation between angles, slopes, styles, stems, frames, bikes, commutes or whatever you are actually trying to talk about.

I think the ultimate answer to your questions and to your whole existence at the moment would be the following;
A bike is a two wheeled device, created for going from point A to point B quicker and more efficiently than just walking.
Therefor you can use whatever bike you want in the whole world to commute.
If you are scared about destroying your Merckx or someone steeling it then just use a different bike.

This is of course if you are not an AI who is looking to understand the use of bikes, and why people have more than one bike, and choose to create so many different set ups and why there is not just one ultimate bike that everyone has and no other bike ever!

August 2, 2017 08:31 AM

August 2, 2017 05:43 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
I found out how to make it work: the issue was one of Spirit: can a Belgian made bicycle have a Japanese stem and bar?
The answer is in the affirmative: Yes.
But only when one does this: Pushes their saddle all the way forward so that it is at the limit upon the rails.
Then a large frame can appear to be as sexy as a 54.
Because, as I said, or as was implicit: a 54 centimeter frame is 'tighter', and the only way to make the 64 look as sexy, is to make all the components proportionately balanced.
The big one that most people do is this: a different front wheel than rear.
Sometimes it can be pulled off, but other times it is obviously Kitsch.
Kitsch doesn't last.
The question is the old saw: does form suit function?
And you will find that a Track Bike...can be used as a commuter, if one is willing to fight the winds: I mean of course the fury of demons--people spitting on you, cars throwing trash at you, and the regular gangs of laborers who seem bent on running you over 'simply because you are on a direct drive and they want to test your skill'.
This world has been ruined by democracy and capitalism.

August 2, 2017 11:59 PM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
So in a way I have made the entire bike appear to be Japanese simply because the fifty-eight degree negative angle and then the b123's which have the same fifty-eight degree down slope.
If I still had the other stem, it would not look anything like this: it would like an Eddy Merckx.
And the Jaguar puts so much weight over the front axels that one is hurtled forward.
And then another issue with using a bike such as this to commute is the bearings of old campagnolo are better if left slightly loose: this means a new grease every month at least, the grease oozes out and they are dust magnets.
To compare the Jaguar and a Cinelli is to compare two entirely different souls.
All I can say is that perhaps the soul of this bike went into an eddy and diverted the Gulf Stream and somehow ended up over a murky torrid Japanese sea.
So turtles and sex and what eat does make sense.

Attached Photos:
Post photo

August 3, 2017 12:36 AM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
please

August 3, 2017 08:44 PM
Karl
285 posts
35 bikes
There's an alien hidden in the background of the picture.

August 5, 2017 12:09 AM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
if you're having these type of questions, you should reconsider bikes

August 5, 2017 11:26 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
These sort of things are fragile.

August 6, 2017 10:31 PM
NicolasCalifornia
249 posts
6 bikes
Still looks like a Merckx!

August 7, 2017 03:11 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.