Home
Forums > General Discussion >

LEADER 735 PROBLEMS

(closed)
hey guys so i made this thread because i have this really weird creaking noise in the bottom bracket area of my frame. I have done everything in my power to figure out what the heck is wrong with it. Please if anyone knows how to fix it or has any suggestions to fix it please help me out.
what i tried so far:
-removed bottom bracket and added grease
-tightened all the chainring bolts

August 6, 2012 08:17 PM
Have you tried adding some grease to the BB tapers (the contact points between the spindle and the crank arms?

August 6, 2012 08:29 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Do your pedals have any play in the spindles? Mustangwolf is most likely on point btw. Give that a shot.

August 6, 2012 09:14 PM
Good idea to check the pedals as well. I want to add to check that the crank bolts are tightened pretty good as well as adding some grease—especially if the set up is new. Sometimes things need to get seated.

August 6, 2012 09:16 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
yes i have reseated the bottom bracket about two times now and made sure to clean it out and put new grease each time and also torque it to specs. as far as pedals no they do not have any play. and i forgot to mention that i have sram omniums could that be the case?

August 7, 2012 12:24 AM
It could be anything, many times it's actually your saddle, seatpost, or stem. I've had this happen to me, sounds like it's your bb but turns out it's your saddle. It's pretty common that it's something else so just check the whole bike

August 7, 2012 12:31 AM
TRACKER
149 posts
5 bikes
ok that sounds like a good idea I usually torque all my parts down but i think ill go over it all again thanks guys for all this help

August 7, 2012 12:40 AM
Does the bearings inside the Gxp bb seemed to be warn down? I have a friend that had this same problem but it was on a different frame. He said he bought that crankset used and he noticed some ball bearing had cracks?

August 7, 2012 12:48 AM
iaznryan
116 posts
0 bikes
i think ill check that out too

August 7, 2012 01:26 AM
It's the Leader creek. Most leader's have that problem. My 725 has that problem and so does a lot of my friends who ride Leader's. Not ALL but most.

August 10, 2012 08:42 PM
hawtdamnsteben
26 posts
5 bikes
I've got the same problem... What's the creek? Never heard that word in this context.

June 9, 2013 09:54 PM
StpnGtzlr
4 posts
0 bikes
TRACKER is on the money. Most times the so-called "Leader creak" ends up being the seatpost or seatpost clamp.

Did you prime the seat tube by slightly tightening and loosening the clamp before installing the post? Also, did you remove the seatpost binder and grease the top of the seat tube where it goes?

June 9, 2013 10:23 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Yes, I did everything as you said and it´s still there! so annoying

July 1, 2013 05:54 PM
StpnGtzlr
4 posts
0 bikes
Contact LEADER... they have a 100% guarantee policy and should be able to help you get another.

July 1, 2013 06:43 PM
pedalconsumption
142 posts
5 bikes
Way too easy.

July 1, 2013 09:09 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Leaders are eh...

July 2, 2013 03:12 AM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Let me guess...you've never ridden one. Yay internet!

July 2, 2013 11:59 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Idk maybe try switching to anti seize. I use that on my bottom brackets and don't ever get creaking. I did get it with grease on other frames I had in the past.

July 3, 2013 12:41 AM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Have not rode on a Leader before, but I hear a lot of problems about them compared to any of the bikes I've owned.

July 3, 2013 04:08 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
If that's what you heard, it must be true!

Look at it this way - if you haven't eaten something, how do you know what it tastes like? Can you realistically even begin to tell someone it sucks or recommend it as the best thing ever? No you can't.

So many unfounded opinions get tossed around just because of what people read on the internet. Most people who talk shit on Leader have never even [i]seen[/i] one, let alone actually ridden one. People need to start thinking for themselves.

FWIW, my Leader 725 is one of my favorite bikes and the one I find myself riding the most these days and none of my aluminum Leaders have ever creaked (this is my third one).

July 3, 2013 04:47 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
my 725tr v2 was super loud and creaky.
couldnt figure out wtf was causing it. so i just rode it and eventually forgot the noise was there.
yes they have a bad rep, but what bike manufacturer doesnt have people criticizing them.
scrodzilla is right. if you've heard about this and that.. keep it to yourself until the day you actually try it out.

i hated my leader. but it was good for what they costed me

as for the noise. remember being an alu frame.. the noise can come from anywhere. make sure the seatpost is well lubed, drop some tri flow on rails of saddle. make sure axle nuts and cones are properly tightened. overhaul the whole bike essentially. dont focus only on the bb area.

July 3, 2013 05:55 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
It's not really what I've read on the internet, but what I have seen and heard with other people in the bike community here in Vegas. I've never owned an aluminum bike, so I don't know much about them. I do know that buying a bike that is close to the same price as some of their forks might not be as reliable, either.

I don't have a solid opinion on Leader bikes. I know that in the previous years, they had random cracks and what not and that's about it. And I'm not really the type of person to steer people away from those bikes, like how people talk about those Fixie Thrusters. Granted, I do not like them, people will buy them and you get what you pay for.

All I know is, I'm not one of the persons who is having problems with their bikes (that are in fact Leader bikes). There are a couple of threads involving Leader bikes on this site.

But Scrod is a pretty trustworthy and reliable source. Doesn't mean I'm going to go buy a Leader. Thought about getting All-City Big Block.

July 3, 2013 10:02 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Leader is sending me a new Frame. I just had to make a video of my problem. Great support!!

July 7, 2013 10:56 AM
StpnGtzlr
4 posts
0 bikes
hi im having the same problem and was wondering if you have there email still...

July 9, 2013 03:51 AM
cnote123
2 posts
0 bikes
Hey I´m sorry, but i just contacted my local dealer!

July 14, 2013 04:54 PM
StpnGtzlr
4 posts
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.