Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Los Angeles paint shop?

(closed)
Anyone know of a business or an individual I would be able to contact to paint a frameset? I have a build I'm working on for my gf since she wants to get into riding, but I want to restore the paint on her frameset (and change the overall color while I'm at it)

I'm able to strip it and repaint it myself with rattle cans if I wanted to, but not sure how durable he paint would be even if I take the proper steps in prep work and paint, all while letting it dry for a month or so to really cure before installing all the parts back up again.

May 2, 2017 11:43 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes
I dont have any good suggestions but I do want to warn you about beach city powder coating. Got the blue Rigi painted there. Tons of paint chips already. 2/10.

May 2, 2017 11:57 PM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
2/10 is generous

May 3, 2017 06:01 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
Not LA area, but close enough.

https://www.element6.us

Formerly known as Cycle Therapy, a few builds on here, including my own have been painted by them.

May 4, 2017 07:27 PM
joserheo
222 posts
9 bikes
Was going to suggest cycle therapy, but thought it was too far. I've seen some of their work on carbon bikes and it's super nice.

+1

May 4, 2017 09:01 PM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
Santa Ana doesnt seem to far. Especially if youre getting some quality work done.

May 5, 2017 03:47 AM
Bubba
112 posts
11 bikes
I used to live in the Inland Empire and had Seven S powder coating in Riverside do a frame for me. It turned out great, and is still looking nice almost 7 years later. I found them to be really down to Earth fellows there.

Regarding powder coating: If go the way of Henry Ford and get it gloss black, most powder coaters run that day in, day out. It will be the cheapest color you can get- most of the time. A lot of time spent powder coating (and wet paint, too, I suppose) goes into prep work/ changing color out. You may save yourself some money going this route.
However, powder coaters often prefer that you do not strip the paint yourself. They will sand blast the frame down to bare metal, so there is no residual solvent, grease, etc. left on the frame from cleaning before they bake it. Ask your guys if this is included in the price of the job, often times it is.

Wet paint will cost a good deal more, but if you have fancy lug work you might want to go that route.

May 5, 2017 05:34 PM
qfwfq
18 posts
1 bike
A good powder coater will always recommend satin black. Looks 10X better than gloss. If they try to push gloss on you they're just trying to get your job done as quickly and cheaply as they can. Expect the finish quality to suck, or at least leave you scratching your head when you've paid and look at the frame closely at home. Caveat emptor

May 8, 2017 03:48 AM
eldeezy
38 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.