Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Mash bolt downtube dent

(closed)
Hello everyone,

So I've been searching for a cinelli mash bolt for months now and I've finally found one locally and it's my size! He's asking 500 for the frameset, but it has a little dent on top of the downtube. He's the second owner, all he knows is that the first owner had a minor fall and somehow dented the top of the tube. Anyway, I'm really interested in buying the frameset but I'm feeling hesitant because of the dent. I don't know much but I know dents on aluminum frames are bad. He claims he's taken it to lbs and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Can you guys help me decide if I should buy it or not. Im also gonna Ask him to lower the price because of the damage. Is his price reasonable? Here's a pic, it's right in the middle of the tube on top of the 'n'. Thanks guys.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

January 30, 2014 10:10 PM
Chris_naz
17 posts
17 bikes
$500 is too much for a frame with a dent like that IMO

January 30, 2014 10:24 PM
yeah, second owner and has a dent prolly not worth the 500.

January 30, 2014 11:09 PM
If I can get it at a lower price, is that dent really nothing to worry about? Or is it a potential hazard? I'm thinking of building it as a commuter bike. Thanks for the responses.

January 30, 2014 11:44 PM
Chris_naz
17 posts
17 bikes
It's small enough that it should be safe.

January 31, 2014 12:43 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
It won't affect the structural integrity, but it's definitely not worth the money

January 31, 2014 12:46 AM
Just looks like an aesthetic issue, but I definitely agree that the price is too high.

January 31, 2014 04:42 AM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
don't buy a dented frame. you never know. but if you reallllllyyy want it, push for 300

January 31, 2014 04:26 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
Yeah, I'm definitely not paying his asking price. I'm even considering now to just save my money and maybe go for a kagero or the new parallax. Thanks again for everyone's input.

January 31, 2014 06:31 PM
Chris_naz
17 posts
17 bikes
If I were you I'd at least try to bargain with him a bit before exploring other options. The dent isn't anything that would compromise the structural integrity of the bike (based on the pic here at least), and if you're able to explain to the guy how reluctant people are to buy dented aluminum frames you could potentially get a much better deal than paying for a kagero or new cinelli.

Doesn't hurt to try, eh

January 31, 2014 08:32 PM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
paying 300ish for a perfectly functional bolt seems sweet to me, but to each their own

January 31, 2014 08:33 PM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
Yeah I'm gonna try first, had to leave town for a few days I'll see him soon as I'm back (hope nobody beats me to it lol) If I do get it down at a reasonable price I would for sure grab it. Let u guys know how it goes.

January 31, 2014 09:08 PM
Chris_naz
17 posts
17 bikes
"I don't know much but I know dents on aluminum frames are bad."

Dents on aluminum frames AREN'T (too) bad. Aluminum can be dented quite a bit and be perfectly fine to ride on. When you see a crack however, that's when the integrity of the frame is destroyed.

January 31, 2014 11:52 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
The guy sold it close to his asking price, my last offer was 400. Oh well..

February 5, 2014 01:25 AM
Chris_naz
17 posts
17 bikes
I'd say you got a good deal then...

February 5, 2014 01:27 AM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
^ I think he means he didn't get it.

At least you could get something different now, you already have a Cinelli X Mash frame, why not branch out a little, try something a little more unique?

February 5, 2014 07:12 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
I know what he meant. I'm saying it's a better deal that he didn't get an overpriced dented frame.

February 5, 2014 08:08 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
Oh I see, good call. Haha

February 5, 2014 08:42 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.