Home
Forums > General Discussion >

"Natural" & "environmental friendly" stuff

(closed)
I've been thinking about the topic of common bike commodities, lube, grease, tires, tubes, etc, for example all those mentioned use petro/oil based compounds (well the tires are all probably synthesized compounds) nevertheless I think to myself "how detrimental some stuff might be to the environment"? Anyone have any suggestions for products that are made "sustainably"
today I found this: http://www.green-oil.net/index.html

Also I was curious if anyone has seen natural rubber tires or tubes for sale? Natural rubber meaning rubber made from rubber trees and not butylene/artificial rubber, just curious how they ride how long they last etc.
I think how much it sucks to be living and riding around in an essential polluted environment with cars passing spewing out toxic gas, choking my lungs, then I think "how much I'm I also responsible for polluting the air/water/soil"? Do you think we should be thinking of ways to prevent pollution? How responsible are we individually for making choices to prevent/clean up the polluted cities we live in?

June 28, 2014 06:54 AM
not one thing is sustainable under capitalism

June 28, 2014 03:29 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Moose smokes too much weed.

I use bacon grease mixed with the blood of Christian children to lube my chain.

June 28, 2014 05:53 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
oh yeah shit i forgot about that special chain lube, it's so delicious i usually gobble it all up on pastrami sandwiches before i can use it on my bicycle.

scrod is an angry satanist, don't trust that guy

June 28, 2014 07:35 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
is this a serious thread? hah
I think you need to think bigger if you're trying to be environmentally conscious.
recreational activities should be the last thing you should be worried about. lol

June 28, 2014 08:09 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
moose and outofstep have it down

capitalism fucks everything. factory farming and mass production of packaged foods, (in the name of "efficiency") are both individually responsible for more environmental damage than cars, let alone when combined. I don't think your bikes tires are even notable comparatively. stop eating factory farmed meat and packaged foods and that alone will do way more than recycling, not driving a car, and buying "green" products ever could.

June 28, 2014 11:35 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
Don't forget that farming is a very subsidized industry. Subsidies being perhaps the most un-capitalist thing ever. But this isn't a political argument, and you are correct about not buying meat and packaged foods! Those have some of the biggest impacts on the environment!

I work in a bike shop, and i study Physical Geography and Environmental Studies, and i have always noticed that the bicycle industry isn't as "Green" or "Sustainable" (i hesitate to ever use those words) as many of their customers are. However, I know (thanks to my studies) that their impact is marginal in comparison to the impacts of many global industries. For the most part, some of the best things you can do relate to what you eat; less meat, organic, local... OH! and ride your bike! :)

June 29, 2014 06:35 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
also, try to limit how many babies you make in your lifetime

June 29, 2014 06:38 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Stop riding on paved streets too because the blacktop they use to surface the roads had animal renderings and numerous environmentally harmful chemicals in it.

June 29, 2014 03:50 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
but grass and dirt is just covering up soil full of decomposing animals and a bunch of stuff that can kill you too! guess we shouldn't ride there either...

June 30, 2014 06:00 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
Fuckin' hipsters.

June 30, 2014 11:41 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
maybe we should burn ourselves and use the ashes to fertilize plants.

July 1, 2014 05:35 AM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.