Home
Forums > General Discussion >

New frame(s)?

(closed)
I have been looking at replacements for my soma rush, i want to do a new build from scratch and i was wondering what frames i should look at if any. I'm leaning towards steel, possibly aluminum, preferably something under 700$. No cheap shit (I.e Unknown, Aventon, Leader, etc)

May 8, 2014 05:00 PM
Swapping out your wheels for lighter wheels will be a big improvement in itself. Why aluminum? The rush is a great frame. But in response to the actual question... the Dolan Pre Cursa is probably the best value.

May 8, 2014 06:29 PM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
Leader for sure

May 8, 2014 08:05 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
I would buy this

http://www.pedalroom.com/forums/marketp...

but its obviously a matter of preference

don't buy a leader

May 8, 2014 09:03 PM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
NJS frame? Or a nice vintage Italian pista frame?

May 8, 2014 10:31 PM
BK
totally worth it

May 9, 2014 05:22 AM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes

May 9, 2014 07:34 AM
joaobola
51 posts
2 bikes
^

"when you said you wanted something under 700$ i took that to mean you wanted something approx. 3300$"

May 9, 2014 07:46 AM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
for real though the op said he didn't want a leader and wanted to keep it under 700 and got recommended a leader and a nagasawa what the hell is wrong with you people

May 9, 2014 07:49 AM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
hahaha fuk.... your right... sorry :-/ not cheap xit the naga
what about this? http://www.kinokocycles.com/tokyo-fixed...

(ok i like that shop, they are cool guys)

and affinity? not a lot of options there , 3 frames

May 9, 2014 08:27 AM
joaobola
51 posts
2 bikes
Steel bikes worth getting: EAI Bareknuckle, EAI Toyo Godzilla (for those of a certain weight), Kilo TT, All-City Big Block, NJS, Soma Rush (but you already have that), Sulry Steamroller.

I don't know much about an aluminum frames.
I have a Kilo, BK, and NJS bike and they have all done me very well. Currently riding NJS.

May 9, 2014 10:10 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
the eimei is nice, i was considering aluminum cause i would be doing some racing (Velodrome, crits, alleycats what have you) and aluminum responds differently for me IMO.

May 9, 2014 10:10 PM
Also i've looked at the bareknuckle and godzilla whats the difference? is it just paint or geo?

May 9, 2014 10:15 PM
Breakbrake17 Transfer to Alpina fork, can only imagine how soft that ride must be.

May 10, 2014 12:35 AM
sized up from a 54cm godzilla to a 56cm bareknuckle. they ride pretty much the same except that the godzilla definitely flexed a lil bit more. I read that the godzilla uses slightly thinner tubing and is more suited for lighter riders. At 180 lbs I am not really light, so I attribute the flex to that mostly. If you're lighter and can afford the extra $150 get the godzilla i'd get that. If you're a bit heavier and/or want to save some money and/or like italy more than japan then get a bareknuckle. BK is $125 cheaper than a godzilla on retro-gression and you can often find them for $400-$500 on craigslist. Ultimately the size of the fork/headset might make the decision for you (godzilla 1", BK 1 1/8") That is probably the biggest difference between the two.

I have yet to ride a better steel track frame and have had a several people jump on both bikes and only have positive words. Plus the fork is probably the raddest steel fork I've laid eyes on.

June 2, 2014 07:02 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.