Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Omniums with Paul Hubs?

(closed)
Hey Guys,
I'm getting a paul wheelset in the near future, and I know that they are a 44 chainline, and was wondering how that worked with omniums on a gxp. Do I just add a spacer or two on the driveside cup?
TIA

May 31, 2017 03:00 AM
melac1
237 posts
20 bikes
i feel like this question has been asked on here

May 31, 2017 11:41 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
ran fine and smooth on my setup

June 1, 2017 08:42 PM
metatronic1123
231 posts
37 bikes
You can also use Paul hubs as mirrors for curbside (or trailside) body hair trimming. That's only with the polished aluminum though. If you get blacked out ones, well you're shit outta luck.

June 2, 2017 08:03 AM
If you've got a Sram GXP BB, using a spacer or two will only end up ruining the bearings because you'll need to over-tighten the NDS arm in order to get it to pre-load properly. Think about it - the spindle doesn't magically grow when cup spacers are added.

The only reason spacers are included with Sram GXP BBs is to allow the use of a crankset designed for a 73mm BB shell on a frame having a 68mm shell. They are never to be used for adjusting chainline or clearance on Omniums or S300s. Ever.

Stop worrying about your chainline being off by 2mm and ride your bike.

June 2, 2017 02:30 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes
^ facts

June 2, 2017 09:44 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
+1

June 3, 2017 10:22 AM
Karl
286 posts
35 bikes
Also, for anyone curious about the Phil bb: the stock gxp shells are 12mm wide, the phils are 10mm and the phil spacers are 2.5mm. I'm using one spacer on the driveside and have a 42mm chainline.

For a Paul 44mm or whatever chainline they use, you could put 2 spacers on the driveside and should still have enough spindle for normal preload. I also now realize i should probably put a spacer on my non drive side.

June 3, 2017 05:22 PM
Jehu
544 posts
13 bikes
Yeah, the Phil OBB cups are thinner and one of the included spacers is usually required on the drive side for good clearance & proper chainline. Adding another to the NDS can be done but isn't 100% necessary.

And Jehu is right - two spacers can safely be added to the drive side (along with none on the NDS) if you're having clearance issues or whatever.

The moral of the story is that everyone with Omniums should be using a Phil BB.

June 3, 2017 06:29 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.