Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Packing Bike for Coach Bus

(closed)
Hey all,

I'll be heading from LA to SF in September and wanted to know if anyone had success with putting a bike on a greyhound bus or any other bus for that type of trip. Prefer not to rent a car. I called up greyhound, mega bus and tried to get in touch with the Hoang Exp Vietnamese bus service. Greyhound and Mega said 50lbs checkin luggage which would be my bike. However, I don't want to get any sudden surprises. All help will be greatly appreciated.

August 1, 2013 03:11 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Greyhound sucks bro...the stations are always in the worst part of the city, in every city, probably get robbed standing outside. Like mentioned before fucks with Amtrack, trip is a lil longer and from LA to SF u have to transfer to the bus in Bakersfield but I have taken my bike on the trip and it was no prob. They have special racks to hold bikes in the train cars, bring a lock...or you'll be constantly getting up to check on it like I had to do. On the bus I just took off the front tire and put it under the bus with the luggage. Didn't have to call ahead, no special accommodations or extra fees. Plus Amtrack buses are waaaay cleaner and nicer, worth the extra $$. Who wants to be stuck on a 6hr bus ride next to some guy chewing dip and spiting into a bag anyway?!!!

August 1, 2013 07:06 PM
Whats the price on amtrak from sf to la? im considering it later this month.

August 1, 2013 10:43 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Cool thanks all,

Seems like Amtrak is the best bet. It's at $59.00 right now which isn't so bad as many buses I've seen were about that price.

August 2, 2013 01:11 AM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Would have loved to take the Amtrak to LA from here but I got a flight for just $140 while Amtrak is $245.00. Figured I can use that extra cash.

August 2, 2013 02:42 AM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
How much to ship a bike tho?! The only reason I settled for the train...oversize baggage fees there and back can be a biitch!!

August 2, 2013 05:38 PM
Varies depending on who your flying with. Mine is fine as carry on. Just read the specs or talk to a rep for the luggage. For mine it's gonna be free as long as it's less than 50lbs and 62 inches. I called up and made sure plus printed paperwork on it for backup when S#^t hits the fan.

August 2, 2013 06:58 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
I flew with my bicycle with my own case . Basically 100 bucks round trip on the plane. I have done the amtrak as well from dc to florida. The cost was 10 bucks for the bike each way and 25.00 bucks for the box. I had them save the box in florida so my return didn't cost another 25.00 for a box. So your bike on the train goes for about 45 round trip.
You will need your tools to removed the pedals, seat and handlebars FC. You will also need to assemble and tape your box together. Get there early too.
Oh yeah... I didn't catch this until later watch the value amount they put on the form. Mine was checked zero and if they would have lost or damaged my ride. i would not have been a happy camper.

August 8, 2013 06:54 PM
fixed_culture
23 posts
0 bikes

August 9, 2013 07:46 PM
fixed_culture
23 posts
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.