Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Painting my bike, help/suggestions

(closed)
Hey guys, I'm looking to paint my bike

But I don't know anywhere around me where I could go get it painted professionally

I want to do it myself but I know I will not get an efficient paint job out of a can

So my question is; what is a way I can do it myself but still get a nice enameled paint job?

Air compressor?

Power sprayer (picture attached)? (Any opinions on this product? Any body use it before?)

If I use an air compressor or the power sprayer, why kind of paint? Brands? Where can I get it?

Any method?!

Appreciate all info, thanks
Attached Photos:
Post photo

March 20, 2014 03:22 PM
Skid
19 posts
5 bikes
> artprimo.com
> Belton Molotow Premium spray paint
> Belton Molotow Premium Clear coat (In the Molotow transparent section)
> 10 Pack of Blue Dot caps

This will be better than any cheap power sprayer or air compressor. This is the best aerosol paint on the market, and blue dot caps are the best professionally made aftermarket caps for painting light even coats on things like bike frames.

Strip the paint until the frame is cleeeeeaaaaaan, wear rubber gloves to keep your skins oils off the metal. Hold the can 9 inches to a foot away from the frame passing light coats over the whole frame, do 2 coats of rustoleum primer, 3-6 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear, leave at least an hour or two between each coat, and let it dry overnight between primer and paint and between paint and clear coat, then let it dry for a couple days after clear. I repainted a fork with this method and it was no powder coat but for paint it held up really solid.

March 20, 2014 05:02 PM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
^ good advice

airbrush/spray gun/compressor will be expensive enough you minus well pay professional to do it. Depending on material, powder coat can be pretty affordable. Carbon, gonna cost you. If you go with above route, the only suggestion I may add is to do this in a particle free spray room. Good luck

March 20, 2014 07:00 PM
Thanks GromCake!

March 20, 2014 08:29 PM
Skid
19 posts
5 bikes
GromCake: I got a 56 cm steel track bike, how many cans should I buy? Of each that is

March 20, 2014 10:27 PM
Skid
19 posts
5 bikes
One of each might be enough, two cans of paint if you want to be safe but a single can of primer and clear should definitely be enough since you'll be doing less coats of those. Oh and the blue dot caps will be under male caps, don't get female caps for this kind of can.

Just some tips: this kind of artists paint is really really rich in pigment, this makes for really opaque well covering paint but the pigments settle to the bottom of the can over time, so when you get it, shake it really well for at least a couple minutes after you loosen up the rattle balls which will probably take a minute or so on top of that.
Each time you use it, before you paint at all, point it away from the bike and spray a little to make sure it sprays smooth for a couple seconds because some of the thick pigment can make its way into the feeding hose inside the can sometimes after settling and won't come loose from shaking, it'll come out like silly string, this is completely normal for new cans and cans that have been sitting around for a while, but if you accidentally spray it onto the bike it'll leave a big glob in the paint job, so make sure to clear the hose by spraying it into the air for a moment before each session.
When you're done with each coat hold the can upside down aimed away from anything important and spray until no color comes out to clear the cap and keep it from clogging, which is very possible with soft spraying caps like the blue dot, but since the minimum you can order is ten caps at a time and they're only like thirty cents each it really wont be a big deal if you clog a couple.

March 21, 2014 01:24 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
And if you want the paint to stick even better, try and get some Belton brand primer, it'll be hard to find, and the shipping charges will probably be ridiculous if you can find any, being that it will probably be coming from Germany, but if you're a serious perfectionist it'll be worth it. Rusto primer gets the job done though and is entirely compatible with Belton Molotow paint, although you will have to use the stock cap on the rusto as they only sell male-valve cans. Follow all the directions on the backs of the cans if that wasn't already your plan, haha.

March 21, 2014 01:32 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes
really appreciate the help man :) thanks!

March 21, 2014 02:32 AM
Skid
19 posts
5 bikes
No problem! Good luck with the project!

March 21, 2014 04:34 AM
GromCake
210 posts
11 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.