Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Peeling clearcoat

(closed)
I found a couple of areas where the clearcoat is peeling off on my low. Does anyone have any advice? I've done a bit of research and it looks like my options are to either remove all the clearcoat with a razorblade and then redo it (i'd like to keep the paint and decals as is) or to completely sand, respray and then add new clearcoat (which probably means goodbye to decals). Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

April 2, 2014 02:45 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
does low warranty paint defects?

April 2, 2014 02:56 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Not as far as I know, the frame warranty is for a year but doesn't mention paint. Their website says they can refinish frames, but its costs $300 plus shipping and may take 4-6 weeks. I think I'm better off giving it a go myself.

April 2, 2014 03:02 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
How did it start peeling? From normal use? Maybe try a local body shop to see if they can refinish the clear coat. I want to get mine refinished in a gloss coat but not worth it to send back to Low//.

April 2, 2014 03:14 AM
kriiiss
73 posts
6 bikes
I noticed some bubbles on the downtube and then today noticed a patch on the seatstay. I probably shouldn't have picked at it, but I did and now it's peeling. I'm not too worried about it, just a bit annoying.

April 2, 2014 03:22 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
Sounds like LOW is doing shoddy paint?

April 3, 2014 02:36 AM
Haha, I wouldn't call the paint shoddy. But, I didn't expect the clear coat to peel this soon.

April 3, 2014 04:30 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
Clear coat shouldn't be peeling if applied correctly. Sounds fishy

April 3, 2014 09:45 PM
You should've bought a Kilo TT.

April 3, 2014 09:57 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Ha, I'm still happy with the bike. It's a couple of years old now and from what I understand clearcoat oxidizes and peels over time, it's peeled over areas which are raw aluminium which might be why. I'd be interested to see if it happens to the completely raw frames eventually.

April 4, 2014 12:13 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
Seattle's climate probably doesn't help the clearcoat either

April 5, 2014 02:52 AM
That's what i was thinking. I had it in Taiwan with me for a year too, so the change of climates probably adds to the problem.

April 5, 2014 04:30 AM
Tommo
39 posts
7 bikes
I own two bikes from the 70s that both have flawless clear coat after nearly 40 years.

[img]http://www.sdsmith.net/wordpress/wp-con...

April 5, 2014 02:41 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Its easy, sand it down a bit and reapply...
Too much to say about clearcoat

April 5, 2014 04:57 PM
iliasp
7 posts
1 bike
FWIW clearcoat (like any other paint) never adheres well to raw metal, especially aluminum.

April 5, 2014 05:08 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.