Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Photos appearing sideways

(closed)
How do I fix this problem? It's bothering me, and idk how to change it.

March 15, 2015 02:45 AM
That shit pisses me off too, gotta rotate them. Also, pedalroom needs to get their picture situation figured out.

March 15, 2015 02:57 AM
Deluxe
221 posts
10 bikes
open a photo editor and rotate portrait-framed photos to the left, save, rotate to the right, save again, then upload. they'll probably upload correctly. likely just a weird bug in the way the computer recognizes photos that are in portrait framing after they're uploaded from your camera or phone to your computer or the internet.

coomer is a busy dude and, from what i've gathered, runs this site by himself. the photo system has some minor bugs that are pretty easy to work around. this site doesn't have the budget or personnel to run as smoothly as common high-traffic sites like facebook. but basic web troubleshooting is usually pretty easy if you just think and try to solve instead of getting upset about it. makes using slightly buggy websites pretty smooth.

March 15, 2015 05:59 AM
GromCake
208 posts
11 bikes
It's something I'm working on. It's actually a more complicated problem than it looks on the surface.

Some images have a lot of non-visible information called EXIF data. Sometimes this includes rotation information, and sometimes not. And sometimes that information is wrong, but your image viewer is smart enough to guess at the orientation and auto-rotate it. Furthermore, this EXIF data is not standard and different camera/software manufacturers store data in different ways. This makes it hard to parse programatically.

When photos are uploaded, they go through a resizing process and in order to make photos fast and save space, extra information is stripped. Sometimes, this results in a sideways photo.

The fix is to try to take the EXIF data into account, which is kinda hard. I'm working on a fix though that should help to fix most rotation issues, as well as a better photo uploading UI that allows for manual rotation (click a left or right arrow and it rotates 90 degrees).

And related to photos, I'm also fixing the issue where old images display when you upload new ones (this is a browser cache issue). The new uploads work, it's just that sometimes you have to shift+refresh the page in order to get the browser to display the new images, because it thinks they haven't changed. This is an easier fix, is done, and will be released along with some tweaks and lots of bug fixes here in the next couple days.

So long story short, it will be fixed soon!

March 15, 2015 12:00 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
As always, huge thanks for all of the work you do behind the scenes to create this community we all enjoy. For free. Without lifting a finger.

March 15, 2015 02:19 PM
A-Danger
166 posts
68 bikes
+1

March 15, 2015 03:29 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
I agree. This is a great free service! I'm happy for it, even if there are a few small bugs here and there.

March 15, 2015 04:51 PM
tricksonafixed
320 posts
5 bikes
Thanks all!

March 15, 2015 10:25 PM
No problem guys, happy to help. Thanks everyone for the support and for making this place what it is. It's been really great to see the site grow, even if at times I haven't been able to be around as much as I'd like.

It's good to be back in the swing of things actively working on the site, and getting control of a what felt like a million things in life in general. And I'm super excited to get some stuff fixed up and build/try some ideas that have been churning in my head and my notebooks for years.

I'm hoping to get all the photo stuff hammered-out this week.

March 16, 2015 07:20 AM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes

March 16, 2015 06:26 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.